Twins

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I saw the discussion on twins and was wandering how common are twins anyway? Are there any percentage numbers on this? Just curious, thanks for any info.

[email protected]

The latest figure I saw was published in 2000, it was claimed that twins only occur in 1 of 4000 brths. Herds that have selected for twinning only run in the high 30 percent range. This has been an abnormal year and a higher then expected ratio of twin births.

dun

> I saw the discussion on twins and
> was wandering how common are twins
> anyway? Are there any percentage
> numbers on this? Just curious,
> thanks for any info.

I've got a bull who was a twin. His mother was a twin...should I worry about his heifers possibly having twins? Will they be more likely to calve twins?

[email protected]

The chances of his daughters twinning is greater. Those are the type of genetics that the herds that select for winning use.

dun

> I've got a bull who was a twin.
> His mother was a twin...should I
> worry about his heifers possibly
> having twins? Will they be more
> likely to calve twins?

1 out of 4000? I find that interesting, I would have guessed it would have been around 1/2 to 1%.

> The Farmer-Stockman November 2002 Issue had an article under the subsection Southern Beef Producer written by Kathy Coatney and titled "Time for Twins" but I can not locate it on their website http://WWW.thefarmerstockman.com. Intereting articleI saw the discussion on twins and
> thanks for any info.

[email protected]

> I saw the discussion on twins and
> thanks for any info.

We run 200 Charolais cows and last year we had 9 sets of twins and 1 set of tripletts. We have not selected for twinning as it is a pain for all involved. I think if you select for high fertility it just happens to increase twinning.

[email protected]

Twins in Charolais? Didn't you have calving problems?

Charolais usually have calving problems imagine when they are twins or tripletts.

AWESOME

> We run 200 Charolais cows and last
> year we had 9 sets of twins and 1
> set of tripletts. We have not
> selected for twinning as it is a
> pain for all involved. I think if
> you select for high fertility it
> just happens to increase twinning.

[email protected]

>No, We had no calving problems. We did not have to assist in the calving of any of these cows. We have selected for ease of calving in our herd. Most of our bull calves weigh 80 to 90 lbs at birth. We have calves that calve easy and then grow. It is not unusual to have a 80 lb birth weight and 800 lbs weaning weight in our herd.

Twins in Charolais? Didn't you
> have calving problems?

> Charolais usually have calving
> problems imagine when they are
> twins or tripletts.

> AWESOME

[email protected]

Where are you located and how many Charolais do you have?

> ok, but is still amazing , in our
> farm with fullblood and purebreds
> Charolais, it's normal to have
> calving problems once in a while

[email protected]

I once had this twin experience with my Charolais X by AI. Gave birth to twin Bali Cattle..both died after survived for 2 days..:-(

In British cattle I have always heard around 2-3% twins. Char, Simm and Gelbveih are usually a bit higher than that. We usually run around that 2.5-3% in our herd which is almost entirely British.

Latest posts