twins-one has front legs that bend under

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We bought a 18 mt old black anugus bull last year. So far out of the 32 cows he has been with, we have 29 calves and 4 cows ready to deliver. We have had two sets of twins. The first set we saved the first calf which was a bull, but lost the second which was a heifer.The second set had a heifer first and doing great, the second,a bull calf, had problems--its front hooves are bent forward, so when it tries to walk or run it falls forward or it will try to walk on its knee's. Both are big calves they are nursing fine and mother claims both and nurses both. We straighten out it's legs and wraped cotten around them and then wraped duct tape, with a splint on the lower portion of the leg. He is walking and hopping around fine just like his twin. My question is has anyone else had this leg-hoof problem and if so what did you do? Did the leg straighten out. We thought maybe this was because of the room it had in the cow, or does this sound like a problem with the bull? Thanks for your help.

Yes I have seen this once before. It happened on a large ranch in Peace River country - Alberta.

Wife and I did much the same as you - it cleared up in a couple of weeks. I never called the veterinarian on this. I figured it was just the way the calf had been positioned prior to being born.

Just make sure it is not wrapped so tight that there is a circulation problem.

Never liked getting mixed gender twins - too much chance for a freemartin. But, it's always nice to get a calf on the ground that is alive and well.

Have a great day.

Regards,

Bez

I usually by at least one holstein calf (and have a couple goat kids) every year with contracted tendons. As far as I know it is caused from a lack of movement, not genetics. They actually make splints with velcro that you can buy, but, I do as you say and wrap them with cotton. My husband cut a piece of black plastic pipe (can't remember if it was 3 or 4 inch) that I use as the splint. Then use vet wrap to get it snug. I make sure the plastic extends below the hoof in the front. So they are actually walking on that the first (about) week. At this age they are growing at an amazing rate so unwrap/ re-wrap NO LESS than every three days. At each re-wrap slowly tighten around the hoof. I have had some take as much as 6 weeks to straighten out, so be patient.

It's typically referred to a bumblefoot. You can splint them and they'll generally clear up in about 6 weeks, or you can leave them alone and they'll straighten out in a bout a month and a half.

dun

:D :D

I know I am growing old - I had to read it twice to be sure!!

Bez

:D :D

We had a bull calf born that way last year, it cleared up on it's own, in about 3 weeks. We had him and his momma in a separate area, so he wouldn'nt have to walk the whole pasture after her that way, not that he would have minded, lots of energy. But yah can make sure he's eating the way he should and not worry about keeping up with mom.

Have seen this twice and believe it is result of pre calving room in cow. Have not done anything to calves and they have corrected themself over a couple of weeks. There is no way of identifying that these calves had this problem when they are older. So long as calf appears healthy, is feeding and dam is mothering the calf well, Mother Nature is a wonderful thing. Do not believe it is bull related at all.

Latest posts