Twins on old cow

Help Support CattleToday:

She is a direct daughter of a flush cow I had. Hudson Pines Farm leased her for 3 or 4 years. They would take her after she calved, conventional flush her every 60 days (5 times in a year). I would get 1/2 the embryos for the lease. I think half my females go back to her (#3 cow family). She averaged 19 embryos. Super prolific cow. Produced until she was 15 or 16 years old.
This 15 year old's 10 year old daughter gave us a heifer 5 days later (she is in the background). I had 6 cows due for fall calving and I now have 3 heifer calves on the ground with 4 more to calve. Hoping for some bull/steer calves for next years freezer trade.

Better give her a bite or two of some good feed if you're going to keep both calves on her . She looks like a good momma .

She is one of 6 head that will be kept separate (fall calvers) from the main herd. She will be fed great baleage all winter. Calves have a shed to go in. If needed, we can put grain in the shed for these fall babies. We usually put grain in the shed a month or two before spring weaning. She is in good condition and has plenty of milk. "Shouldn't" need extra care, but not saying we will be ignoring her!! These two heifers are definitely replacement female quality. I plan to rebreed her "if she cooperates" - LOL

I heard that twin calves are usually sterile. Then I heard only if they re split twins - m/f. So if a cow has twin heifers or twin bulls those calves will be fertile? Or was the whole "sterile twin" thing untrue? Just asking.

I heard that twin calves are usually sterile. Then I heard only if they re split twins - m/f. So if a cow has twin heifers or twin bulls those calves will be fertile? Or was the whole "sterile twin" thing untrue? Just asking.
A heifer is generally a freemartin if the other twin is a bull. There are exceptions and tests to determine her fertility (but personally, I wouldn't retain one). Twin heifers & twin bulls are fine.

Like TC said, a heifer born twin to a bull is "generally" a freemartin (non-breeder) because they pick up too many male genes in-utero. IF both calves are completely in separate birth sacs, sometimes the female is OK. It is rare - something like 8%. You usually can tell by looking at the vulva. Generally it is bigger, has a lot more hair - just doesn't "look" normal.

I have found through experience that split twins generally produce an exceptional freemartin heifer that weans in top 5 per cent of heifer calves and a runt bull.

not complaining though because the runt bull is pure profit.

@Lazy M thanks. yes, NY grows GRASS. Lots of it, right up until it is buried in the snow. That is why I can raise frame 5-6 cows weighing 1600# and they stay in great condition. Small cows would be fat unproductive butterballs.

Latest posts