Twins, looking for advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague

Reaction score
I have a set of twins again this year. It was a bull and heifer set. Of course if the cow is going to reject one it would have to be the bull. This is day three and no change in mind set. I was letting the bull nurse 4 * a day. I am now cutting back to 3. She milks heavy and I think he is getting good and full so no incentive to attempt nursing her by himself. I was wandering how long I should go before giving up and make him a bottle calf.

Thanks
Tod

Just keep an I eye on them. We have a cow every year give twins no matter which bull. It doesn't matter what size the calf is either. Most people think the smallest one is the runt & say the cow will give up on it. In most cases it's been the biggest one for us. Just keep an eye, chances are if they have milk on thier faces & look pretty fat & she licks both of them she'll do good.
Ellie May

Tod Dague":tojgwrr1 said:
I have a set of twins again this year. It was a bull and heifer set. Of course if the cow is going to reject one it would have to be the bull. This is day three and no change in mind set. I was letting the bull nurse 4 * a day. I am now cutting back to 3. She milks heavy and I think he is getting good and full so no incentive to attempt nursing her by himself. I was wandering how long I should go before giving up and make him a bottle calf.

Thanks
Tod

Sorry to tell you that you have a "Free Martin" heifer calf. Most bull/heifer twins will produce a heirfer that will not reproduce.
Good Luck

Yeah I hate when that happens. We always get 2 bulls or a bull and heifer never 2 heifers. If we ever get 2 heifers we plan on keeping them, to see if they ever have twins. Bad idea??? Anybody?
Ellie May

I just had a set of twin heifers and I would be interested in the answer to Ellie May's question. Anybody ever kept twin heifers for replacements?

Yes I have kept twins from a cow that acepted both calves. You shouldn't have a problem as long as the cow doesn't pull down to much. I have some British Whites and twins are not as uncommon in the breed as others. I hope you do know what a free martin is in case you get a set of twins that are a bull and heifer calf.

Yes I know, hating someone or something is not good, but to hate something that is not alive is not all that bad. And yes I should say, I dislike when that happens. THank you for the correction.
Ellie May

Latest posts