Twins & Genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

BumpersFork

Reaction score
Question about twins: Recently had one of my % Angus cows have a set of twins. First set of twins she's ever had. Cow is 8 years old. Raised and weaned them without any issue(best looking set of twins I've ever seen to be honest). This go round she had a single heifer. If I were to keep this new heifer as a replacement, would she also have an increased likelihood of having twins? I realize everyone can have different opinions about keeping twins and/or cows that have them but for me it's a relatively simple choice: If this heifer has an increased likelihood of having twins then she'll be going to the sale barn at weaning, if not then keeping her is a no brainer as she's off of one of my best cows. Had never had a set of twins where I didn't have to bottle feed at least one until this cow had hers last season. Figured I would try to get some more info on the genetics side of it before I made a decision.

I don't know what the official view is on the heritability of twinning but it is certainly selected for with success in some breeds of sheep and goats.

Ken

I agree with you that twins are a pain in the **s. with that said, I have my favorite cows in my small herd. My favorite BA cow had twins her second calving (one dead bull and one live heifer.) I have kept every heifer out of her except that twin (probably 6 or more since she seems to have a heifer each time,) None of her offspring has had a set of twins. nor has she had a second set herself. My favorite RA cow had several sets of twins (always same sex and markings if they have some white blended in,) and yes, her offsping do have twins frequently. There are three ways that a cow can have twins. 1- she can release one egg that gets fertilized by two sperm cells entering the egg at exactly the same time (non identical twins.) 2- she can release two eggs and each egg fertilized by two different sperm cells (non identical twins) 3- she can release one egg that gets fertilized by one sperm cell. that fertilized egg can divide and split into two growing embryos (identical twins.) The first is not hereditary. the next two are hereditary. If this calf is from your favorite cow, I would keep. Even if it is hereditary, the likelihood of her having twins on a regular basis would be slim in my opinion. Since she is 8 years old already, I would not be too worried about keeping her offspring.

I have had cow families that never had a twin even tho mom or grandma had twins.
Twins are usually a sign of fertility. I HATE twins - but, would never cull because of it. I have one cow right now raising her 3rd set of twins.

It's my understanding that twins are genetic. It is passed down from the dam to the female animal. But twins are also more likely in an older animal. The same is true for humans. Consider it like a going out of business sale. The body can start to spit out eggs more at a time and more often.

Identical twins tho are assumed to happen due to high hormone levels. Identical twins are more common in AI or embryo transfer. Embryos cultured outside of the body are more likely to split. They aren't exactly sure why. Whether it be the drugs used causing high levels of hormones likely estrogen or from the culture.

I'm with Jeanne, if she's from your best cow, I wouldn't cull her on the basis of whether or not she MAY give you a twin...especially if her momma raised them both and got bred back on time. I've had an increase of twins in the last 3 years, all from different cows, and none are related. I too hate twins, but I'd dang sure keep a heifer out of my best cow, regardless of twinning history of the cow. Yes, there may be some genetic merit to the twinning, but there is always someone out there looking for a bottle calf to put on a cow or to give to their kid to raise. JMO

Thanks everyone for the input. The previous set of twins this cow had were identical twins. So if I'm reading some of these posts right, that means it would be hereditary on the dam's side? Either way, starting to lean toward keeping this new heifer. Any cow that can raise twins with no help makes it hard to pass up a chance to keep replacements off of her.

Ky hills has a good point about some breeds twinning more. Brown Swiss I believe have the highest twinning rate. Other dairy breed like holstein and Guernsey twin more often than jerseys. I dont know which beef breeds twin more. I would keep her.

Years ago it had been reported that Simmental is the highest twinning breed for beef. Seems like the numbers were something like 8% for all beef and 13% for Simmental.
Nutrition (and fertility) has a LOT to do with twinning. Cows in super great condition (not fat) are more prone to twins IMHO.