Twins again 3 times????????

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Well I knew TSCC Miss Kayla was going to calve so she has been on my watch since yesterday. Tonight at 6:30 she had the first calf a heifer and by 7:15 the legs were out for the second. At 9:30pm I assisted her ,,and a first for me I had to cut the sac with my knife (thank goodness I had it in my Halley's) ..I thought the calf was dead but when I stuck my finger in it's mouth it moved and then I cleaned the sac from it's eyes and it looked at me. Stupid me did not have the chains so I tried to pull by hand as mom had kind of given up ..So I reached around and it had it's legs crossed and they were locked on her hip bone. I straightened them and untwisted them and she ,,,yep she slid right out.. :D

I weighed the first and she was 78lbs and the second was bigger but I will not be able to weigh her until tomorrow..

Mom is cleaning her now and I will go out right away to give the heifer it's "stuff" and hopefully it has drank already. First heifer has drank and got her "stuff" and is sleeping so I will put babies together and hopefully mom will know she still has two :help: ..

That is 3 sets of twins , but I hear this is the year of the multiples..Two PB heifers out of a great cow, and mom should have no problem raising both..

Mom and Dad had 5 sets out of their first 50 cows. This is the first year that I can ever remember us not having a set.

I'm glad the twin thing is working out for y'all. Frankly, if I suspect a bull is throwing that "twin" gene - he has to go. It just complicates things too much. I understand that there's research farm somewhere where they are trying to develop twinning (if that's a word). They must be drankin'. :lol:

Farmer Z":1wtg8hjh said:
I'm glad the twin thing is working out for y'all. Frankly, if I suspect a bull is throwing that "twin" gene - he has to go. It just complicates things too much. I understand that there's research farm somewhere where they are trying to develop twinning (if that's a word). They must be drankin'. :lol:

Really have to tell you that the bull doesn't have much to do with the cow having a set of twins. Either the cow has 2 eggs or the egg splits. Pretty much all the cow there. The only bull that has much to do with a set of twins would be the cows sire (grandsire, etc).

And, congrats HD on the twins. So far none here, and I could use a set, our nurse cow just calved last night.

Thanks everyone. :tiphat:

Randi you are right, 3 sets of twins two different sires. It is the year of multiples ad the neighbor had triplets on Saturday and the association has had a large amount of twins computed already this year and one set of triplets as well just in Alberta.

Had a busy day with the last little girl born (I think :? ) everything was fine at 1:30am, 4:30 am,7:30 amand 11:30am but when I went out to feed at 2:00pm I noticed that her right rear leg was swollen and she could hardly walk. So I gave her a thorough check but took her to the vet anyways. That was a unique ride with the little one bundled in a quilt snuggled in on the floor board of my passenger seat.

She has some swelling in her joint but not broken, must have been stepped, so she is on anti inflammatories and nuflor to fight off a secondary joint infection..I sure hope she gets better, she can still drink from mom but not for long as she loses her balance easily and falls over..

Oh BTW for those that are wondering total vet visit was $5.68 ...

The two are pretty much identical but boy they sure are cute.. :heart:

I'm just glad that they weren't triplets as Kayla was big enough for three.. :???:

Really have to tell you that the bull doesn't have much to do with the cow having a set of twins. Either the cow has 2 eggs or the egg splits. Pretty much all the cow there. The only bull that has much to do with a set of twins would be the cows sire (grandsire, etc).

That's interesting, Randi. I reckon I learn something every day (but twins still scare me - ha). Thanks.

Bull has less to do with twins than the female. All the bull is responsible is for fertilizing the egg. Sounds to me like the cow releases multiple eggs.

Latest posts