Twine Pump for JD 435

Help Support CattleToday:

whitebc

Reaction score
I have to replace the twine pump on my 435 baler and the local JD store does not have one,(and of course I have 30 acres of hay that needs to be up this afternoon) someone told me that it was just a power steering pump off of a Chevrolet???????? any ideas on a part # or if this is even true?

Don't have a parts number but it is a Chevy power steering pump. I've never studied it but you could probably get one out of a junk yard and get it going. Just not all that sure on the fittings and the drive as I have never had to mess with it, yet.

I beleive the fittings might be a little different but I have been told you can take the pump out of the reservoir and replace it with the pump off of a mid 80s chevrolet pump
take it to the parts store and try and match it I beleive it is an early or mid 80s style pump

Thanks for the help, I broke the drive belt for the pump on Thursday afternoon, I got back to the field with a belt(1/2" shorter than the JD belt) and took about 3 hours of my time trying "to make it work", should have just went 30 miles up the rd and got the right belt :x, the twine pump would get so hot, from running the whole time I guess, that the paint was peeling off of it and eventually the pump just got to the point it did not have the strength to push the twine arms a complete round... I thought I had burned it up but evidently it just burnt the fluid in it, replaced the belt with the right size, new filter and drained as much of the old fluid out as I could... now it works great.

Just for reference for anyone who has this problem, a 41.5" will NOT work on a system that takes a 42" John Deere belt :?

Just learned a rough lesson that cost me 30 acres of someone else's hay to get rained on twice and about 2 days worth of work. :roll: This is only my second year messing with hay and I learn more and more every time I cut some grass down :)

I really appreciate the help!!

Thanks
Ben

Just burned up the second bearing this year on my 435. I wonder if all the bearings will start to go out one-by-one?

shaz":re4n77mw said:
Just burned up the second bearing this year on my 435. I wonder if all the bearings will start to go out one-by-one?

I dont know, but I burned one up at the beginning of last year and have not had anymore problems since then, I reckon I better get some extras to keep on hand :?