Twin Trouble ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Some of my purchased cows are prone to twins. I calve out in a pasture, the cows usually hide them in different locations, and then they may only mother up with one of them. Is there a way to minimize rejected calves aside from hard cull'in or picking one to be a bottle calf ?

Assuming you find the rejected one, you can try penning them and putting the cow in the chute. Then try to get the rejected calf to nurse. Keep the cow separated from both calves, but let them both nurse several times a day. If the cow is gentle you may be able to do this while she's eating some feed instead of putting her in a chute. With either method, after a few days she should forget which one she rejected and let both of them nurse and you can turn them out.

If they're too much trouble just sell the orphaned calf.. at $500 each it's not a bad deal these days.. unless you want the bottle baby.

Stocker Steve":2wwbjad2 said:
Some of my purchased cows are prone to twins. I calve out in a pasture, the cows usually hide them in different locations, and then they may only mother up with one of them. Is there a way to minimize rejected calves aside from hard cull'in or picking one to be a bottle calf ?

Culling makes more sense if you stop buying cattle and raise your own.

If she isn't really "rejecting" one but just kind of forgot it, pen them up. Cow may just be confused. Twins and cow are best kept in a smaller corral until both calves are actively getting to nurse and following really well. After a couple weeks you can turn them back out.

Presuming you can get to them pretty quick, some folks will rub after birth and/or fluids on rejected calf. Also heard of folks putting the moms milk on the rejected calf..I have a set this year out of a 3 year old, had to pull one off because she just didn't have the supply for both, but darned if she didn't accept both of them without a hitch...go figure.

Wife thinks the calf is really cute, so I gave it to her along with a bag of good milk replacer :cowboy:

It answers to Rita now - - named after the mother in law...

Latest posts