Twin calf question.

Help Support CattleToday:

WDF

Reaction score
Are there reproductive problems with calves that are twins? I was told not to buy a particular heifer calf because it was a twin. Is this fact or fiction? Thanks....Russ

90% of the time a heifer that was twin to a bull will be sterile. fact. (note* she doesnt have to be born with a bull) do a search on here for "freemartin"

karlie45":u9jf9c3r said:
Is the bull born of the heifer/bull twin sterile as well?

No. The bull hormones affect the heifer but not vice versa.

dun

KNERSIE":pxp5kg15 said:
I've read that they could be subfertile, but usually not sterile.

I've never seen an article about twin heifers in general being subfertile - is it possible that the articles you've read are dealing with specific genetics? We've had a number of twin heifer calves over the years, and never had a problem with any of them settling.

Since the hormone comingling has no affect on the bull twin of a mixed gender pair there is no reason it would be subfertile. Frequently twins are smaller then single births and may not grow to yearlings to be as heavy as singles. They may be slower to develop but that's an affect of birth size and nutrition.
The subfertile claims are probably in the category as not keeping heifer calves out of heifers, just an OWT, or more appropriately OFT

dun