Twin Bottle Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

donnaIL

Reaction score
These are pictures of the bottle calf twins born 3/26/07. Last picture is with the bull calf standing next to his brother (same cow) from last last year. Weaned them at 13 weeks, they eat about 4-5 lbs grain a day. I hope they will catch up with the calves being fed by their mothers.
twincalf.jpg

heifer.jpg

brothers.jpg

What do you think, do they look pot bellied to you? I think they do a little because they seem thin...donna

*@!!#*@~ Had to edit this thing 8 times to get the pic's up!! Donna

We have a cow that has twins every year we leave them both on her for about 3 months, she is a good milker. Then we take off the heifer and leave the bull with her. And of course the bull looks better because he stayed on his momma, So this way we get one calf that is as big as the other calves and we have one that is kinda small but they always seem to thrive good. This year was her 3rd year to have twins. Never had any trouble with her.

You were luckier than me JT...the cow would not take either. donna

we had another cow that had twins this year, well she had the first one and it sucked, we came back later that night and she was licking off another one. She had bedded the first one down then had the second one well we found the first calf and brought it to her. She didn't want it. I guess she figured she had her baby right there so I had to bottle feed it. At least it did get some mommas milk. We tried to put them together but she was kicking it, afraid she would kill it. We have to put our cow that has twins up for a few days after she calves until they both get use to following her. She tends to forget where she leaves them. We always pull the heifer early and let the bull calf stay on her.

Donna, those calves look great! :D

They'll catch up...my gosh, you can tell just from the pics how much difference the grain is making...the way they're filling out across the tops of their backs.

Woohoo! You done good, girl!

Alice

Latest posts