TWH Gelded

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have a nice looking TWH yearling that decided to develop a pushy attitude, etc. We gelded him last month and to date, his attitude has improved 100%. Taking him to get some basic training this month. He has also been ridden about 30 min in a round pen since gelding with no problem. Amazing what that little surgical operation will do to a male! (I have even met some human males where that would be a viable solution to their problems...lol).

[email protected]

I've got a jack and have decided that I don't want any more foals after next year. How much does it cost to get one gelded? Will he still want to breed my jenny even after his surgery?

[email protected]

Depends on where you're located and what Vets are charging in your area. Our TWH colt was gelded by one of our area Vets for $30. Colt got mild tranquilizer and the job was over in about 5 min. or less. Incision was left open so it would drain. Colt was moving around well in about week after swelling went down. We're in ranching country in Texas Panhandle and Vet bills are very reasonable around here.

A gelding equine species will probably still be interested in a female (smells, behaviors, etc.); however, since his incentive has been cut, it doesn't go any farther than that. Some people use a gelding to tease a mare to check for heat. In fact, probably any castrated male can be used to tease the same species....

[email protected]

> Depends on where you're located
> and what Vets are charging in your
> area. Our TWH colt was gelded by
> one of our area Vets for $30. Colt
> got mild tranquilizer and the job
> was over in about 5 min. or less.
> Incision was left open so it would
> drain. Colt was moving around well
> in about week after swelling went
> down. We're in ranching country in
> Texas Panhandle and Vet bills are
> very reasonable around here.

> A gelding equine species will
> probably still be interested in a
> female (smells, behaviors, etc.);
> however, since his incentive has
> been cut, it doesn't go any
> farther than that. Some people use
> a gelding to tease a mare to check
> for heat. In fact, probably any
> castrated male can be used to
> tease the same species....

True in every way,I castrated a stallion he was almost 3. Kept him in a pen for about 30 days that gives the sperm about enfough time to die off,that is still in the stallion,and then turned him out with the other horses. They were good at teaching him how to be just a horse. He became relaxed and enjoyed the horse life.After about 60 days I started his training and then sold him. He was really an aswome horse. but I never saw the stallion attitude, I suppose the other horses kept him in line where that was concerned.

[email protected]