Turns out there was a second calf - dead!

Help Support CattleToday:

HappyCows

Reaction score
This was my orginal post

Today we had a black angus 7 year old cow have a calf about 5 weeks early. We noticed the cow's belly was looking extremely large the last few day. The calf appears to be developed but is very small with little body fat. The problem is this- when we checked inside the cow to see if there was another calf inside (thought maybe twins) and pulled arm out, what appears to be urine poured out of her - more that you can imagine. We've never seen so much liquid come out of a cow at one time and for so long.
We are wondering what the problem is? We are currently waiting for the vet to call back,so if anyone has any ideas we'dappreciate it. Thanks

Well we just discovered the reason for the early birth. The cow had still not passed the afterbirth and was acting strange so we brought her in again and check inside. This time we were able to feel a second calf that we were unable to find when she calfed (thursday), we had suspected twins but could not feel another one this poor calf obviously has been dead a while. Tonight We were unable to pull the calf out, one hoof seems to be stuck - so the vet is coming out in the morning. We have had cattle for eight years and my father for over thirty and this is the first time we've not been able to detect a 2nd calf when reaching inside - weird.

Any ideas on why we can not get the second calf out? The vet said it will probably be a cut up job.

L & J

Well, while we are telling "weird" stories i'll throw one out too. It was a sunday of course and there was a heifer laying around acting weird like she was trying to have a calf. she wasnt ready, and i could tell, she hadnt dilated and had minimal udder formation, but i kept an eye on her anyway. she would lay down and get up, andfinally started straining towards the end of the day. (i'm about 12 at this time) so i tell dad we need to get the heifer up and have a feel and see whats wrong. so we did, dad felt and felt and couldnt feel a calf in her. perplexed, dad thought maybe she had calved already but i told him no way, there had to be a calf in there. keep feeling. disappointed, we decided to call the vet first thing in the morning. monday morning while i was at school the vet came out and had a look and asked "dont yall ever have anything simple?" the calf had developed in between the uterus and uterine horn. vet had to do a cesaerian, calf was dead, heifer died too. go figure.

I dont know waht that is. is that when the embryo attaches in the fallopian tubes? this calf was well developed, i dont know if it was quite to term or not. we always have weird stuff like that happen.

Yes, that is when the egg is fertilized in the fallopian tube and attached there. I know in women it can be life threatening, I just was not sure if it was the same way in cattle.

Learned a new fancy term. We just call it a tuble (can't figure out how to spell it) pregnancy

dun

could just be my southern drawl but i say it more like tube you'll as in tube you will as opposed to tube y'all or tube you all. i can probably send a recording if y'antmeto.

I almost hate to break up this titillating exchange with seriousness! Ectopic (or ectopia) essentially means misplaced. So an ectopic pregnancy is a "misplaced" pregnancy, i.e. a fetus located somewhere other than smack dab in the uterus. They are frequently referred to as a "tubal" pregnancy because a frequent location for an ectopic is in the Fallopian tube.

Latest posts