turnips

Help Support CattleToday:

Copenhagen & Shiner B":1ch1mi24 said:
Has anybody here ever planted turnips to feed the cows? I planted turnips last year and it saved me a few bales of hay.
Turnips make good winter grazing for the cattle. The cattle love the turnip tops.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":b35rtzkw said:
My cows loved the bulbs as much as they did the tops.
Yeah, they like the bulbs too. I just have to get them before they do. Can't let them be a hog!!!!!!!!

Turnips are becoming popular in my area. They can produce tons of forage per acre and some people are planting them into corn stalk so in the late fall/winter, the cow can have turnips and corn stalks. Are hoping to plant some this year. I don't like feeding hay so that's one more way the cows can feed themselves.

Yeah, they like the bulbs too. I just have to get them before they do.

So whats the deal with these. How long a growing season do they require. Fertilizer requirements? Just curious...I,m always looking at new things to reduce costs......... :) :)

I've seen mention of turnips for cattle grazing a number of times over the years and I'd like to learn a little more about it. Did a brief Google search and didn't find much. Sure would appreciate it if anybody with experience would comment regarding the following:

Best time to plant in your area --- please tell us your location so that we can essentially interpolate a planting time for our particular area

Fertilizer --- is it cost beneficial or typically even needed? A lot? A little? None?

Generally how long to wait after seedling emergence, or how tall the turnip tops, before letting the cows in?

Do the tops regenerate throughout the growing season as long as the bulbs are in the ground, or once the cattle clip them off close to the bulb is that essentially the end of the leaves?

Practical differences between "forage turnips" and "regular" turnips?

If planting on grazed down summer pasture land must the seed be drilled or might one get a decent stand by simply broadcasting? Or broadcasting followed by a light discing?

Recommended seeding rates and depth?

Where to buy large quantities of the seed?

Bloat problems any more or less likely than other winter green forages?

Have migrating geese descended upon and ravaged it? I assume it's almost a certainty that feral hogs would play hell on a field of turnips, right?

All I know is it's an old practice. The book Farmer Boy (Laura Ingals Wilder) described raising turnips for cattle feed. She was talking about her husband's childhood. He grew up on a farm in far upstate NY in the 1800s. Those were some tough hombres to make it through the winters up there.

Craig-TX

Arnold Ziffle":37edal4x said:
I've seen mention of turnips for cattle grazing a number of times over the years and I'd like to learn a little more about it. Did a brief Google search and didn't find much. Sure would appreciate it if anybody with experience would comment regarding the following:

Best time to plant in your area --- please tell us your location so that we can essentially interpolate a planting time for our particular area

Fertilizer --- is it cost beneficial or typically even needed? A lot? A little? None?

Generally how long to wait after seedling emergence, or how tall the turnip tops, before letting the cows in?

Do the tops regenerate throughout the growing season as long as the bulbs are in the ground, or once the cattle clip them off close to the bulb is that essentially the end of the leaves?

Practical differences between "forage turnips" and "regular" turnips?

If planting on grazed down summer pasture land must the seed be drilled or might one get a decent stand by simply broadcasting? Or broadcasting followed by a light discing?

Recommended seeding rates and depth?

Where to buy large quantities of the seed?

Bloat problems any more or less likely than other winter green forages?

Have migrating geese descended upon and ravaged it? I assume it's almost a certainty that feral hogs would play hell on a field of turnips, right?

Forage turnips are more top and less of the "nasty barely palatable" root.

dun

New Forage Turnips
Extended grazing with turnips and small grains is not a new concept, but today with new forage turnip varieties the concept can be even more effective. The latest in grazing turnip varieties from New Zealand are much different from the old 'purple top' turnips.

Turnips can be planted with small grains for extended late fall and winter grazing. Animals will eat the entire plant including the bulb. Some new turnip varieties have been bred specifically for grazing, with small stems and a leafy top. Several are 'frost resistant and have been selected for multiple grazing, and some new forage turnip varieties have been bred for faster establishment and quick maturity (60 – 100 days).

For best results, forage turnips should be planted before September 1st for fall grazing. Planting with wheat, rye or oats is common. In areas where corn harvest is later than this date, the seed can be flown on by airplane. In areas with earlier harvest, the conditions are excellent for broadcasting seed into stalk fields. Fields where corn is cut for silage provide another opportunity for seeding turnips and small grains for winter grazing.
Also, turnips can also be used as a break crop in order to convert older pastures to different species and newer varieties. An annual crop gives a bigger window to eliminate the old undesirable forage through the use of herbicides, tillage and competition of the forage turnip crop itself. This makes them an excellent forage for use in the transition from infected fescue to a new 'animal friendly' novel endophyte tall fescue variety.
For more information on grazing forage turnips contact Cutting-Edge at 800-753-6511.

My neighbor ( a 3 war vet) told me about feeding turnips to cattle when I was a teenager. He told me that feeding turnips to cattle was commonplace in Germany while he was stationed there. That idea made sense to me and has stuck with me since. I plant them around Labor Day here in South Carolina. It takes about 5 pounds of seed mixed with some fertilizer (300 lbs an acre 19-19-19) and some cultipacking after spreading. I dont let my cows graze turnips, I pull them by the truckload and dump the turnips in the pasture. I used purple tops last year, but I am going to try some Appin turnips this year along with my purple tops. Beware of one thing though, cattle emit a propane like gas after eating turnips.

I have purchased turnip seed in bulk from 2 compaies. Chesmore seed is in St. Joseph, MO. E-R Seed is in Indiana. Itried a few as cattle feed this past year. They seem to like them. Does any one know if Swiss Chard is ok to feed also. I planted a short row in my garden and these things produce like crazy also.
Thanks

i have a three acre lot that was just bushoged off. it had grown up with weeds and bryers but still had decent under growth. i would like to plant turnips or rye grass or maybe both together wich would do the best. would i need to plow the ground or could i just spread over top with fertilizer bugy. last i feeding 15 holstien steers that are about 450lbs how long would this hold them. all advice is needed.

Latest posts