turnips/rape for grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

runningr

Reaction score
Planting turnips and rape for winter grazing overseeding in bermuda, recommendations on rate/date?
Location is north alabama. I dont want to use herbicide to knock back the bermuda. Anyone have success doing this and what where the results?

Its ok if the Bermuda doesn't keep it choked out until frost. Still its a one time deal at grazing. I have overseeded cereal rye with good success, you get multiple grazings and then early grazing in the spring, cutting what's there lightly with a disk or no-till. I also would try to establish some perennials like fescue and or persist orchardgrass that will give you longer growing into the winter.

Thanks for the reply i have gotten at least 3 grazings out of it on prepared ground by rotating and not letting it get grazed lower than 4-5 inches, you just dont want it to get a heavy freeze when its very big, i also plant rye and oats as well as ryegrass on bermuda and have done so since i was a kid. I have tried before with varying results on bermuda with turnips but i only used 2-4 lbs and i didnt plant till mid october which was to late for decent growth, i am going planning on trying to plant with at least 7lbs of turnips and 10 lbs of rape per acre turnips for early grazing and rape for later. Rape will be separate from turnips. I wanted to see if anyone else is doing this, and what results and ates/dates they used.

Latest posts