Turnip Tip

Help Support CattleToday:

jfont

Reaction score
Plant turnips close together. If they are crowded they get about golfball size; perfect to put in a stew or cook with mustard or collard greens.

Thanks for warning me! Just kidding. I prefer them the size of a potato or even a softball size. Personally, I'd just as soon eat the roots and toss the tops away. Of course I love rutabagers too.

My mother told me because potatoes were hard to come by during the war that they ate many turnips instead.

Never had the tips, I've only had turnips cooked in soup. how do you prepare it?

Most common way here is to cook the tops with salt pork or bacon. Chopped bacon is my favorite. Let the tops reach a gentle rolling boil and cook for about an hour maybe two. About half way through place the roots in there and cook them. This will keep them from turning to mush. Most people chop them up to the size of cubed potatoes. I sometimes put them in whole cause I just like them more than I do the greens.

You also need to cook some cornbread to sop in the pot liquor. Crumbled cornbread in a bowl of turnips is a meal in itself.

Jo,
Got be pretty good if it's from the man who makes philly steak spring rolls. Thanks

whatsupdoc3":bk1w7ynm said:
Drink the pot liquor mix in a beer when cooking for the juices to boil the greens in add a little garlic vinegar and franks hot sauce to taste while boling.

ahhh....I'm not too sure about this part though. :shock: what am I missing? :dunce:

Just_a_girl":3orhd18t said:
Jo,
Got be pretty good if it's from the man who makes philly steak spring rolls. Thanks

whatsupdoc3":3orhd18t said:
Drink the pot liquor mix in a beer when cooking for the juices to boil the greens in add a little garlic vinegar and franks hot sauce to taste while boling.

ahhh....I'm not too sure about this part though. :shock: what am I missing? :dunce:
I'm with her, What is pot liquor?

I don;t know what pot liquor is, I'm not sure what a turnip is. I do know I've never eaten any part of one. Is it like a potato?

angie2":16clo1l3 said:
I don;t know what pot liquor is, I'm not sure what a turnip is. I do know I've never eaten any part of one. Is it like a potato?
The root, which is the turnip, It's kind of like a potatoe, cooks about the same, but with a more spicey taste. Can't believe you never had one. Go to a big grocery store and get some. I also like them sliced up raw, with a little salt. Turnip greens are the leaves that grow above ground.

No have never had one, do you fry bake or boil? Someone mentioned okra to me recently so I went to the store to try to find. Is something else I have never had. Did not know what one was, but there was none in the store. The produce lady said "never". I will look for turnips though and try that, maybe the leaves to, if not ~ my goat will like them I think....

angie2":3e5467c6 said:
No have never had one, do you fry bake or boil? Someone mentioned okra to me recently so I went to the store to try to find. Is something else I have never had. Did not know what one was, but there was none in the store. The produce lady said "never". I will look for turnips though and try that, maybe the leaves to, if not ~ my goat will like them I think....

Angie, Turnips look a lot like a Rutabaga, Turnips are real easy to grow and grow faster then a baga.

But Angie, TRUST ME a baga is MUCH better eating then a Turnip. :nod:

Dang ~ I just went to store and bought turnips, but they are dipped in wax, I don;t know what to do about that, I don;t know how to cook them either. jfont said like a potato so I am not sure if that is boiled baked or fried......

I looked for leaves to boil like they talk about. I found kale but I am not sure that that works. Trey said something about polk leaves so I asked they produce lady ~ she said "What? Polk? Whats a polk?" Gave me the giggles. I said "Beats me"

Turnip roots are best eaten raw. Just peel 'em and eat like an apple. Rutabagas are delicious boiled and then mashed with some crumbled up fried bacon mixed in.

angie":2j63fqoy said:
Dang ~ I just went to store and bought turnips, but they are dipped in wax, I don;t know what to do about that, I don;t know how to cook them either. jfont said like a potato so I am not sure if that is boiled baked or fried......

. "
Boiled, I never just boil them plain, try them in a stew in the place of a potatoe or smothered down with the turnip greens. 90% of the time I either eat them raw or cooked with mustard greens, brussel sprouts, and well seasoned pork meat. About the wax, I'm not sure, turnips here arn't sold dipped in wax.

The purple top turnips are too strong for my taste, although my folks love them peeled, sliced, and boiled with a little meat rine. I really like the tokyo hybrid turnips, they are white and mild tasting, although the seed is much more expensive. I Iike to take one about the size of a baseball or a little bigger and cut off the tip and dip out a hole in the top and put butter in the hole and put it in the microwave and cook for about 4 minutes and then dip out the flesh with a spoone, leaving the bitter peeling. I usually scratch up a patch of ground and throw out the seed in the fall and they grow like crazy with no care. There are way too many for us to eat, so we just let anyone pick all they want. My best year, I gave away several hundred 5 gallon bucket fulls of turnips to people who wanted to pull them. Like sweet potatoes, they are considered a poor man's food because they are so cheap to grow and grow huge crops and the turnips have very little food value.

We boil the turnip root in salted water. Then mash with milk and sugar.
As for the wax just use a potato peeler and peel off the skin and wax togther.

Latest posts