Turning my fence on and off with my phone

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Don't know why it took me so long to figure this one out.

I have several automated things around the house, but back in the spring I bought a Smart Plug to use for my fence charger. Just in this one summer I can't tell you how many steps and miles it's saved me. I always have the phone with me so I can always turn the fence off or on and I can look at my phone to make sure somebody didn't forget to turn it back on.

Just last night I was filling a water tank at the neighbor's and heard the fence popping. Looked like a deer had jumped the fence and carried the electric wire up over the barbed wire. I pulled out my phone, turned the fence off and then moved the wire. Went to the corner and snugged it up and turned the fence back on. Before, it would have involved phone calls to the boss or a half mile round trip to the barn. $40 and it pays for itself in time, effort, gas and aggravation reduction. Plus the boss doesn't have to get mad when I ask her to go outside when the weather is bad.

I think I would like that for my tank heaters. My house wifi hits the stable.

Be careful.
The Internet of Things--IoT.
It was some of those 'things' that brought a good bit of the internet to a standstill thru a Distributed Denial of Service last weekend. Computers and iPhones have a lot of security built in--the 'things' do not.

greybeard":3rcnp97d said:
Be careful.
The Internet of Things--IoT.
It was some of those 'things' that brought a good bit of the internet to a standstill thru a Distributed Denial of Service last weekend. Computers and iPhones have a lot of security built in--the 'things' do not.

Im sure the brilliant one that turned over he internet to the UN has nothing to do with it either.

Kids said the same thing to me when I bought a quad. They said look how many steps it will save you. I replied, "yes but those steps are what is saving me." More technology and less exercise isn't necessarily a good thing.

M-5":376ur077 said:
specific brand?? assume it requires WIFI so don know why I am interested cause I don't have WIFI at the barn

iHome Smart Plug is what I got. No setup to speak of and completely stand-alone.

I have wifi in the barn via a power line extender. Plug one unit into an outlet and the router, and the other in an outlet in the barn. As long as they are on the same power transformer it works fine for music or watching a video on how to take something apart.

I have serious question about a electric fencer. Why do you turn it off to merely find shorts? I never turn mine of unless I'm doing major repairs. I use a jumper lead, short fence to ground and make my repair. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

Runaway Deere":1m6kjis6 said:
I have serious question about a electric fencer. Why do you turn it off to merely find shorts? I never turn mine of unless I'm doing major repairs. I use a jumper lead, short fence to ground and make my repair. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

Same here, I usually just use apiece of electric fence wire.

Runaway Deere":3808d2vd said:

When a deer wraps the wire into barbed wire or takes it down, I much prefer to be sure it isn't going to nail me when I move it. Jumpers come loose, and my fence will disorient me when it nails me.

I dont trust it, I make sure I physically unplug mine if Im going to work on it. Mine will light you up, hitting it one time was enough for me!

GRTiger85":3348xndm said:
I dont trust it, I make sure I physically unplug mine if Im going to work on it. Mine will light you up, hitting it one time was enough for me!

I agree. I have a Kencove fence tester which I wouldn't live without, and I use it to watch the fence go off.

I was reaching through the fence with a bean hook and touched my sweaty hat to the the hot wire. Everything went black and then I noticed the bean hook was laying on the ground. I don't mess with that fence.

Latest posts