turning heifers into non breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
I have about 10 heifers that i want to make so they cant breed but dont know any thing about it or the process. Would like some info if it can be done,at what ages, how it affects weight gain. I am thinking about keeping them to sell for beef since i am short on steers.Any comments are welcome THANKS

c farmer":3aftss3h said:
I have about 10 heifers that i want to make so they cant breed but dont know any thing about it or the process. Would like some info if it can be done,at what ages, how it affects weight gain. I am thinking about keeping them to sell for beef since i am short on steers.Any comments are welcome THANKS
Do you not have any way to keep them seperate from the bull?

The only way would be to keep them in the barn i dont want to do that- more work for me- we only have 1 pasture.

kenny thomas":126gg0ev said:
Dun, I often see spayed heifers on the Superior Livestock sales. What is involved and what is the cost.

Not sure what all is involved. I've talked to a couple of people that have had it done and it seemed to vary a lot by the vet doing it as to cost. They have claimed anywhere from 3-15 bucks a head. That's why I suggested checking with the vet.

c farmer":185ehv64 said:
Dun, do you know if they gained weight quicker.

Once again "I was told" that they gained quicker but not by much. All it does is prevent them from cycling so they don;t waste time and enrrgy riding and they can be fedout right along with the steers. A lot seemed to have to do with less disturbance in the feedlots.

If you are feeding them a grain ration everyday, you could put some MGA (melengestorol acetate) in the feed. This increases the level of progesterone, and prevents the CL (corpus luteum) from breaking down, in eccense keeping them out of heat.

If you are not feeding them everyday, do as dun says.

I do feed everyday but want to keep these heifers together with all the other cows

I would suggest making a place to pull the bull off of them. But, like dun said, check with your vet, you may just want to foot the cost of having them spayed, if it isnt too high.

You could just let the bull breed them. I don't see anything wrong with that. Then you don't have to mess with MGA, people like to have hormone free beef.

I want to sell them for freezer beef that why they cant be bred.Sorry if I didnt say that.

I'd get your vet to spay them.

We used to spay the wagyu heifers at the feedlot, after quite a few calved in the pens. Some would have been joined before arrival, others joined by a 'steer'.

Didnt really see any difference in their weight gain, although it did mean we could have mixed pens of steers and heifers, and the steers wouldnt chase the heifers when they were in season.

I dont sell any bulls that was used for breeding or anything that has had a calf for meat.

Keren":jkmbkj1g said:
I think what iowahawkeyes is meaning, is to let them run with the main mob but sell/slaughter before they calve.

I dont like the idea of sending a heifer to the butcher shop that has a calf in her, thats just not right in my mind to kill an innocent calf. I think I will check with the vet to see what the cost will be to spay them. Thanks for the replies.

c farmer":2836945p said:
Keren":2836945p said:
I think what iowahawkeyes is meaning, is to let them run with the main mob but sell/slaughter before they calve.

I dont like the idea of sending a heifer to the butcher shop that has a calf in her, thats just not right in my mind to kill an innocent calf. I think I will check with the vet to see what the cost will be to spay them. Thanks for the replies.

But but but...they are cows.

"c farmer wrote:

Keren wrote:I think what iowahawkeyes is meaning, is to let them run with the main mob but sell/slaughter before they calve.

I agree with C Farmer I don't chopper our cows if they are in calf either. If I have one that needs to be sold & she's in calf I'll hang onto her until she calves, bucket rear the calf & sell the cow.

Latest posts