turning cattle in on new pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
hello im new to this forum, but have already gained alot of information here. I am planning on moving my herd to a pasture that was newly sprigged in coastal last spring. Should i booster all my cattle against blackleg first? I usually only vaccinate replacements.

B&M Farms":3795hc1e said:
hello im new to this forum, but have already gained alot of information here. I am planning on moving my herd to a pasture that was newly sprigged in coastal last spring. Should i booster all my cattle against blackleg first? I usually only vaccinate replacements.

What does your herd consist of?

Brangus cows between 4 and 8 years old and four 15 month old heifers. Polled herferd bull. Have started working on converting bahia pastures to coastal last spring.

B&M Farms":1p9nj75t said:
Brangus cows between 4 and 8 years old and four 15 month old heifers. Polled herferd bull. Have started working on converting bahia pastures to coastal last spring.
Good luck on the Bahia to Coastal conversion. :nod:

i sprigged and fertilized a third of my pasture heavy last spring and sprayed cimmeron plus in the late summer. I have a good stand of coastal but will probably have to spray again this spring. Wanting to move cows in to start on the next third. Was wondering if i should vacc. my older cows along with heifers and calves prior to moving on fresh tilled pasture. My neighor said he thought i should.

The bacteria enters the calf throught ingestion, cattle that are on a high plane of nutrition , rapidly gaining weight and are between 6 months and 2 years of age are most susceptible to the disease. The disease is not transmitted from sick animals to healthy animals merely by contact. The spores of the bacteria can live in the soil for many years .

Carrasses of animals know to have died from blackleg should not be opened. Opening the carrasses can liberate the bacteria which will form spores that will contaminate the soil and subsequently infect other animals.

Also do not drag the animal along the ground. If possible burn or bury the animal deep where it died.

So with your age of cattle , you will not need to vaccinate.

I have no experience with Blackleg - not an issue around here (although my cattle are vaccinated for it because it is part of the Clostridials)
Anyway, you said it affects cattle from age 6 month to 2 years. B&M said he/she has 4 - 15 month old heifers. So, that tells me you should vaccinate. It's cheap, why risk it?

Reasoning behind my answer is , most susceptible are fast gaining calves on fast growing grass, his grass should be dorment this time of year, also he has them in a pasture now and is not worried, so by moving them to another pasture that should not make a difference. Also he said give them a booster shot , by that statement I take they have undergone previous shots.

The recommended procedure for vaccination is: Calves should receive 2 doses of vaccine before calves are 6 months of age. The 2 vaccinations should be 1 month apart. A booster vaccination 12 months later should give a lifetime immunity to blackleg. So to go by the book they should be vaccinated.I do not know of anyone in our area that gives the booster but that does not mean their are not some that give a 3rd booster.

Latest posts