Turning a tractor tire?

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Anybody got any advice on how to go about it? I'd like to turn one to make a feeder for my cows. I've seen folks make hydraulic rigs to grip and pull the bead, but I just need to do one.

Never heard that expression..."turn a tractor tire??"

Just reach across it, grab a lug and give it a spin...like on the Game Show, "Wheel of Fortune"...lol.

Seriously...if you mean to "Dismount" or "Unmount" a tire off its rim...just take it to a shop that does agricultural tires and have them take it off the rim...

Problem solved...priceless!

jkwilson":2ctgupf9 said:
Turn it inside out. :help:

Holy Sheeet!! Talk about a HARD to do job! Considering the strength of rubber tires would definitely not be a job for an amateur and/or someone without some powerful hydraulic equipment.

On other hand, my naive guess would be that one would have to cut thru one or two sidewalls in order for the casing to have enough "give" to turn inside/out.

Good luck!
:)

A guy who used to live near us used to do it regularly to make feeders. He died a few years back so I can't ask him. I believe he had some posts in the ground that he chained the tire to (upright) and then had a chain rig that grabbed the bead in a few places and then he pulled it through the center with his tractor. As frugal as the man was, I know it wasn't a fancy rig. I'm thinking of cutting three holes with a hole saw so I can chain around the bead to get a good anchor. If I try I'll videotape it for posterity. It might actually work.

Running Arrow Bill":2arf94dj said:
jkwilson":2arf94dj said:
Turn it inside out. :help:

Holy Sheeet!! Talk about a HARD to do job! Considering the strength of rubber tires would definitely not be a job for an amateur and/or someone without some powerful hydraulic equipment.

On other hand, my naive guess would be that one would have to cut thru one or two sidewalls in order for the casing to have enough "give" to turn inside/out.

Good luck!
:)

Chief Running Arrow, if you get creative I'll bet you can use one of them thar long horns for this. You know like: get them to turn their head sideways, stick it thru and...... ;-)

our local co-op does it from where ag tires are bought, costs about 20 or 30 bucks, yes one side wall has to be cut out that side will be up the other side will be down. tires work ok for feeding silage or loose feed, not the best for hay since there is lots of waste, if you have them in with bulls you will have to turn a lot of tires as bulls use them as paly toys and will push the sides in and some what turn the tire back. pretty durable tho, dont rust, dont sink into the ground really in mud, check with who ever deals with large ag tires in your area if they do it and on the price.

This may not be what you are talking about but everyone one around here use them for water troughs.Take a big tire and cut the bead out with a sawsaw put it where you want it and fill the bottom center with concrete.If it is for a water trough run your plumbing then concrete it in.

iowafarmer":uk1ra4m5 said:
our local co-op does it from where ag tires are bought, costs about 20 or 30 bucks, yes one side wall has to be cut out that side will be up the other side will be down. tires work ok for feeding silage or loose feed, not the best for hay since there is lots of waste, if you have them in with bulls you will have to turn a lot of tires as bulls use them as paly toys and will push the sides in and some what turn the tire back. pretty durable tho, dont rust, dont sink into the ground really in mud, check with who ever deals with large ag tires in your area if they do it and on the price.
That is the way I have done it for years on a car tire or truck tire. Then I nail a couple of 2x6's or 2x8's on the backside of it and they make a great feeder or place to put a salt block.

Latest posts