Turned out the bulls.........

Help Support CattleToday:

grubbie

Reaction score
Have very gentle yearling longhorn for the heifers. Eats out of your hand, very calm demeanor. So gentle and laid back in fact, thatI was wondering if he would be too lazy to do the job. Loaded him up today and hauled him out to the heifers, he was excited of course to see them. I opened the trailer door, he ran wide open through the herd, and kept running until he was just a little black and white dot in the distance. Then the black and white dot cleared the fence into the next pasture and kept going until he was out of sight. I bet the dumbfounded look on my face was priceless as I stood and thought quietly, "what the _ _ _ _??" The wife came around the other side of the trailer and asked "what the heck (cleaned that word up) is his problem??" So I go home, back the trailer in (and hit my other trailer with it), and headed out with the quad to go find him. It was about 15 minutes from the time I left to the time I got back down there. There he was......ran all the way back and was standing at the gate wanting to get back into the heifer pasture. Being the optimist that I am, all I can say is at least he didn't tear up any fences........ :?

Good grief!! I don't think you'll rest easier knowing he can clear the fences.. if there's something on the other side you're probably going to be in trouble.

I've never been able to keep a "jumper".. seems like once they know they can do it, they are very hard to keep in. He may stay in until the heifers are all bred, and then decide he'd like to travel.

TheBullLady":3rlygn81 said:
Good grief!! I don't think you'll rest easier knowing he can clear the fences.. if there's something on the other side you're probably going to be in trouble.

I've never been able to keep a "jumper".. seems like once they know they can do it, they are very hard to keep in. He may stay in until the heifers are all bred, and then decide he'd like to travel.
Yeah....sadly enough, I know this. Only takes once to lose all respect for fences. I have them in a pasture that is two fences away from any neighbors cows (well over a mile away), but it didn't seem to matter last year. Had the same problem with a different bull. Only ended up with half the heifers bred. Once I got him back from the neighbors registered angus herd (ouch) I hauled him immediately to the sale barn. This year I plan to move them into another pasture, 3 fences away from any neighbors. I don't have enough grass in that little pasture to keep them the full 45 days. This is my last year of raising/breeding/calving heifers, just too much to handle by myself while working full time. keep your fingers crossed for me!

By the way, before someone jumps me about my longhorn getting in with the neighbors registered herd, I did offer to buy any longhorn calves at whatever price he figured his registered calves would be worth. Also told him if he didn't want to try and get the bull captured, I would come put a bullet in him and just be done with it.

grubbie":21bf60y7 said:
By the way, before someone jumps me about my longhorn getting in with the neighbors registered herd, I did offer to buy any longhorn calves at whatever price he figured his registered calves would be worth. Also told him if he didn't want to try and get the bull captured, I would come put a bullet in him and just be done with it.

Now that is am honorable man! :clap:

cypressfarms":2qv4ktya said:
grubbie":2qv4ktya said:

Now that is am honorable man! :clap:

Yes.

I can just imagine the look on your faces ... :shock: :lol2:

That is strange that he would clear the fence when the girls were right there. Maybe he got shy all of a sudden. :p

Good luck with him, you might want to run a strand of electric a couple of feet in front of your barb wire fence about 4 feet high ,it should deter him from jumping again.

sorry your having to deal with a fence jumping bull.theres a quick easy fix for that.put a bull ring in his nose.then attach a 6ft heavy log chain to it.an if he jumps the fence the chain will tangle in the fence an flipp him.youll only need to get him loose from the fence.but be very careful doing that.

No time or patience for things like that. Or animals like that, for that matter. He is staying in so far, but he jumps again he will die of lead poisoning real fast. He should make good burger.

Had a couple yearling steers that keep going when turn out into a lot during early April. Came back the third day when they figured out there was no food in the woods. Found them standing next to the gate...

Some time back we had a little Hereford bull, just a yearling that we had for some heifers. After he was done with them we ran him with our other bulls in the main herd. He became a fence jumper. The neighbour had (commercial) Charolais cows. We offered to take our bull out and get rid of him and he just laughed saying he wasn't causing any harm as there was no way he could reach his cows. He told us to just leave him there until fall shipping. You should have seen the look on his face when he had a bunch of Hereford cross calves. :shock:

Victoria":20eoy7fr said:
Some time back we had a little Hereford bull, just a yearling that we had for some heifers. After he was done with them we ran him with our other bulls in the main herd. He became a fence jumper. The neighbor had (commercial) Charolais cows. We offered to take our bull out and get rid of him and he just laughed saying he wasn't causing any harm as there was no way he could reach his cows. He told us to just leave him there until fall shipping. You should have seen the look on his face when he had a bunch of Hereford cross calves. :shock:

Yes, he was a jumper. :clap:

Stocker Steve":2l4o8wfr said:
Victoria":2l4o8wfr said:
Some time back we had a little Hereford bull, just a yearling that we had for some heifers. After he was done with them we ran him with our other bulls in the main herd. He became a fence jumper. The neighbor had (commercial) Charolais cows. We offered to take our bull out and get rid of him and he just laughed saying he wasn't causing any harm as there was no way he could reach his cows. He told us to just leave him there until fall shipping. You should have seen the look on his face when he had a bunch of Hereford cross calves. :shock:

Yes, he was a jumper. :clap:

Where there is a will there is a way. ;-)

Latest posts