turn it off before you get off. Tractor accident Liberty County Tx

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Hope it wasn't anyone from CT..
http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/cleve ... 689279.php
A Liberty man suffered serious injuries Friday when he was run over by a tractor at a ranch off of FM 1009 in Devers.
According to Liberty County Sheriff's Capt. Ken DeFoor, Dusty Tousha, 26, who works as a ranch hand, was on a tractor and going to pick up a hay feeder around 7:30 a.m. when the accident occurred.
"He was driving a tractor pulling a trailer. He came up to a cattle guard with a gate and either left the tractor in gear or bumped the gear as he got off. The tractor backed up over him with the front left tractor tire running over his head," DeFoor said.
DeFoor added that Tousha was able to call his ranch foreman who then called 911 for help.

"By the time a deputy arrived on the scene, Mr. Tousha was in an ambulance being treated. He was then transferred to a LifeFlight helicopter and transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston," DeFoor said.
Tousha's condition is unknown at this time.

Done this a few times myself--need to stop.

The guy that had this farm years ago had something similar. He had on old Oliver which was notorious for being hard to select neutral. He got off and walked in front of the tractor towards a big oak. The tractor some how got into gear and cut him in half (crushed depending on who tells the story) between the front edge of the loader bucket and the tree.

You're right, getting off with the tractor running isn't a good idea.

Back when I was younger and still bullet-proof I'd put a tractor in first gear, tie the steering wheel to something to keep it going kind of straight, step off, wait for the trailer to get there, get on it and throw off square bales, then go get back on the tractor. It makes me shudder now to think about it.

Rafter S":1m6o8djh said:
You're right, getting off with the tractor running isn't a good idea.

Back when I was younger and still bullet-proof I'd put a tractor in first gear, tie the steering wheel to something to keep it going kind of straight, step off, wait for the trailer to get there, get on it and throw off square bales, then go get back on the tractor. It makes me shudder now to think about it.

did this as well for years....

Y'all cant be serious about turning off a tractor every time you get off. I counted today how many times I got off and on putting out 3 bales of hay , change spear to fork , put on fork extenders moved a feeder . just that was 16 times. Accidents happen but all any of us can do is be cautious.

my tractor has a park gear in it so it can't move. I always put it in that before i get off.

bbirder":358ofuus said:
Always "Think Safety". A good friend was riding his 8 yr old son on the fender while discing and the boy fell off. No need to describe further. The man was never right after that.

I imagine not. Indescribable. 30 something years ago. Local man here was going down a dirt lane between house and hog pen on a tractor with a feed mill back when everyone had hogs around here. Son got off of the school bus. Ran up behind the feed mill and jumped on to ride to the hog pen. Back hopper lid where you add the premix was open. Boy went in with both legs. Father had no idea until he stopped to auger off feed. Boy lived. Lost both legs. Blamed both parents. They aren't right today and neither is he. Screwed up all three. Because of a complete, but preventable, accident. I can't imagine being these parents or your friend you mentioned. Horrific.

JMJ Farms":1zn1ax0b said:
bbirder":1zn1ax0b said:
Always "Think Safety". A good friend was riding his 8 yr old son on the fender while discing and the boy fell off. No need to describe further. The man was never right after that.

I imagine not. Indescribable. 30 something years ago. Local man here was going down a dirt lane between house and hog pen on a tractor with a feed mill back when everyone had hogs around here. Son got off of the school bus. Ran up behind the feed mill and jumped on to ride to the hog pen. Back hopper lid where you add the premix was open. Boy went in with both legs. Father had no idea until he stopped to auger off feed. Boy lived. Lost both legs. Blamed both parents. They aren't right today and neither is he. Screwed up all three. Because of a complete, but preventable, accident. I can't imagine being these parents or your friend you mentioned. Horrific.

Two of the saddest things I've ever read.

I'm not sure I'd make it if I was at fault for killing one of my boys.. I don't let them ride the open station tractor with me .. when I was young I rode on the fender while mowing every weekend .. my cousin and I would ride on the Bush hog and shoot rats with our 410's .. looking back my uncle should have been whipped for letting us do stuff like that ..

M-5":3redemts said:
Y'all cant be serious about turning off a tractor every time you get off. I counted today how many times I got off and on putting out 3 bales of hay , change spear to fork , put on fork extenders moved a feeder . just that was 16 times. Accidents happen but all any of us can do is be cautious.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe an old gasser, but big Johnny diesel doesn't like getting woke up more than once a day.

Stuff happens, keep your brain in gear, and get back to work.

JSCATTLE":17s7w2gt said:
I'm not sure I'd make it if I was at fault for killing one of my boys.. I don't let them ride the open station tractor with me .. when I was young I rode on the fender while mowing every weekend .. my cousin and I would ride on the Bush hog and shoot rats with our 410's .. looking back my uncle should have been whipped for letting us do stuff like that ..

Yeah but it sure was fun at the time.

I have swallowed my heart a couple times reading this.

I do put the tractor in neutral and park when I stop with it running.

I don't turn the tractor off when I get off, but I put both gear shifts (1-4 and H-L) in neutral and shake them back and forth to make sure.

Latest posts