Turn bull in with calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Lenny

Reaction score
Is it OK to turn the bull in with the cows to re-breed even though there is still one to have a calf. If you recall I was the one that had the calf killed by the bull earlier this year. This was an older calf 6 or 7 months old with internal damage possibly broken back and we believe he was trying to breed her but maybe just being mean or playing. All speculation but now I am gun shy about bulls in with calves and I don't trust them suckers anyway. I seperated them when that happened but its time again. I don't want him messing with her while she's having her calf and don't want him being mean to the other calves while trying to quinch his thirst for love. :) I know he's a machine!

I don't have a knowledgeable answer for you...only an instinctual one. After what you went thru...and you being nervous about it...well, let's put it like this...I wouldn't do it if you held a gun to my head.

I like to get my sleep and night and I can't be around this farm 24/7...and there's no way that I could sleep or run to town on errands if I had gone thru what you have with that blasted bull. Cripes, it wouldn't matter if I was standing right there, the bull could still do whatever damage it intended on and I couldn't do a thing about it...except load him up and haul his mean, lovestruck a$$ off.

Just my 2 cents.

Alice

Lenny, I guess you will have to take a chance with the bull if you want the cows bred. How big an area do you have for the cattle? If their in a small area theres a much greater chance of the bull doing damage. If another calf is riding a cow in heat, a big bull can do a lot of damage if he rams him in the belly. As far as the cow that hasn't calved yet, should'nt be a problem if she has enough room.

mnmt

I've turned my bull in every year with young calves, never had a problem. Although I do seperate the cow still to calve for about a month after they calve so they have a chance to heal after calving and give their new calf a fair chance to get started without the cow being chased around by a bull.

JMO,
Alan

I didn't read your other post about your bull killing your 6 to 7 month old heifer calf, but if she was that old he know doubt was trying to breed her. Heifers will start coming into heat at about 6 months, I wouldn't blame the bull, you need to seperate the heifer claves from the bull at 6 months.

JMO,
Alan

I run bulls 24/7/365 and have never had a problem with bulls harming the calves. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't have a bull in with the cows when they have their calves then you run the chance of delayed breeding/calving, uness you are trying to get them all together and are not worried about your cows calving in 365 days. That heifer probably came in to heat and her tried to breed her - can't fault him for that - that's why you have a bull, that's their job and they don't discriminate.

Thanks you-all for your insight. I have also seen bulls run with cows year round 24/7. I think in light of what happened this ole boy wont do that. I think I will try and seperate the one that has not calved yet. Hopefully the rest will do OK. Thanks again.

Lenny,

In all honesty, I think what happened to you was just a fluke thing. If you don't put the bull in with the cows they will never get bred back unless you AI.

If you wait to put the bull in till you wean calves you will lose money by streaching the time the cows are open.

One more thing, don't put heifers in the field that may be nearing puberty and are too small for him to breed.

Suck it up, put the bull in and keep an eye on him.