Turn around

Help Support CattleToday:

ive tried it both ways and fence line weaning wins hand down with me. the last time i took some heifers too a place i had rented , winded up looking for em horse back all the next day now i wean them get them going on their own then move em

Dun wrote
When was it written? All the references I see were back in 1965

I've got the 7th edition which was released in 1992. I'll be the specific text to which I refered was written in an earlier addition though.

BTW, what a great book!

sidney411":2caxm6fc said:
OK, so if I have this right:
from birth to the day they are removed from their milk source, be that man or beast, they are just a calf.
from that day for the next 1-2 weeks they are "just weaned"
from then to 12 mts they are weanlings
from 12 - 24 mts they are yearlings

Depending on the area, they can also be called 'coming 2-year olds past about 15 months of age.

from the day they give birth for the 1st time they are cows till they die. Unless you get into the whole 1st calf heifer, 2nd calf heifer, heferette, ect.

Is this right? This is so confusing :(

Yes, it is very confusing - especially when one throws in the regional differences. :lol: It was never my intent to cast doubt, or question your abilities or knowledge as a cattlewoman. I believe you to be a very good cattlewoman, and that is why I was so surprised that you would put a bull with what appeared to be a very young heifer calf. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Latest posts