Turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah I figured I was off on my time period when I wrote that. I looked up something probably similar too that bison time line. It was probably closer to 250 years ago that bison out numbered cattle. Would that be about right Greybeard ?

My point was that before government had the Bison wiped out to gain control over the Indians. Land,wildlife,wilderness,people all lived more in harmony at that time here in North America. All of those things seemed to have thrived better together then. I like to say all of those things were balanced.

But basically events all across the world similar to the extermination of buffalo that lead to make more room for the worlds growing population has been part of the reason wildlife has continuously declined.

Other things like the destruction of the rain forest put the hurt on certain animals and so on ?
They were a long ways off from living in harmony, tribes fought and tortured one another, cutting off ears, noses and eyelids.
They could have had it made hunt and fish everyday, the women made the clothes, tanned the hides and prepared the food.
I always wondered why they were Always at war when they didn't have to be.

My point was that before government had the Bison wiped out to gain control over the Indians. Land,wildlife,wilderness,people all lived more in harmony at that time here in North America. All of those things seemed to have thrived better together then. I like to say all of those things were balanced.
Market hunting probably did as much or more damage than any incentive against the natives. Buffalo hides were very, very big money, for everything from coats to conveyor belts and steam gaskets.

Market hunting probably did as much or more damage than any incentive against the natives. Buffalo hides were very, very big money, for everything from coats to conveyor belts and steam gaskets.
The buffalo hunters also kept casks of salt brine on the sides of their wagons and stored tongues to be shipped east to high class hotels and restaurants.

They were a long ways off from living in harmony, tribes fought and tortured one another, cutting off ears, noses and eyelids.
They could have had it made hunt and fish everyday, the women made the clothes, tanned the hides and prepared the food.
I always wondered why they were Always at war when they didn't have to be.
It's easy to dream of a world with no fences and wildlife running every where. Every one would have the same opportunity to walk and kill or gather what the needed to feed their family. Every one would live in harmony and there would be no reason to harm others.

History tells us... it would not work that way.

I've never seen a bad cow tongue. One of the most maligned cuts there is, and only because people have gotten used to thinking badly of organ meats.
We eat a lot of organ meats in our household. I yank the heart, liver and kidneys out of most things we hunt or butcher. I make a version of a dish most people wouldn't touch nowadays, which I will attach below. Mine is an adaptation, but the wife and kids LOVE IT. My kids will scarf down anything made of meat that sits still too long though, so that may not count for much :ROFLMAO:

I got so lucky on that. My kids have never gotten upset when told what we're eating, they'll ask "Dad, what's this meat" and I'll tell them "Well, it was a lamb up until yesterday" and they'll just keep on a-chompin'

We eat a lot of organ meats in our household. I yank the heart, liver and kidneys out of most things we hunt or butcher. I make a version of a dish most people wouldn't touch nowadays, which I will attach below. Mine is an adaptation, but the wife and kids LOVE IT. My kids will scarf down anything made of meat that sits still too long though, so that may not count for much :ROFLMAO:

I got so lucky on that. My kids have never gotten upset when told what we're eating, they'll ask "Dad, what's this meat" and I'll tell them "Well, it was a lamb up until yesterday" and they'll just keep on a-chompin'

I am familiar with this dish.
My brothers in-laws made it often.
I like tongue,heart, kidney and I love liver.
We always cooked them separately instead of making a stew.

I've never seen a bad cow tongue. One of the most maligned cuts there is, and only because people have gotten used to thinking badly of organ meats.
If I wanted an organ I'd go to church! I give the offal to my Russian friend! Tongue is a wedding delicacy. She pays me back very well for something I'd pay to throw away. 🥰🥰

It's easy to dream of a world with no fences and wildlife running every where. Every one would have the same opportunity to walk and kill or gather what the needed to feed their family. Every one would live in harmony and there would be no reason to harm others.

History tells us... it would not work that way.
You are right. Shortly after man was created...

I am the same way. I don't have anything against owls and I basically like all of god's creatures. I know that all have a place and purpose.

I was amazed at how many my friend had killed over the years just in that one area. And it wasn't like someone going out and poaching. My friend wasn't going out hunting them. He was just protecting his game cocks like a cattleman would shoot dogs killing his calves to protect his calves.

I am like a lot of others who grew up hunting. When game population's started dwindling, reclining. I was trying to figure out what was happening. Lot of things like herbicide spraying, trapping which is a thing of the past, loss of habitat and so on.

We all have our own theories as to what the causes and how to fix things are. My personal opinion is that the world population is nearing its maximum carrying capacity just like a cattleman's farm can only maintain so many head of cattle. The world can only sustain so many people. And that creates similar problems for us humans like we as hunters are seeing in our vanishing wildlife populations. I guess the best way to describe what I think has caused the decline of our wildlife is in general everything is out of balance and all man made problems.

Wasn't but around 100 years ago here in the United States alone wild buffalo out numbered all of the cattle we raise here now. And they didn't require no maintenance to sustain them. They thrived and done well. No fences needed, they didn't have to be vaccinated, fed hay in the winter and so on. That was the way with all of our wildlife. Was probably that way across the globe.

But as the human population begin to grow. It started taking away from habitat and migration routes for things like buffalo. Things started getting out of balance. It wasn't as noticeable when it first started. But as time passed things got more and more out of balance.

Habitat for all animals across the globe human animals included. Has steadily been declining. Oh there are spots here and there where you can still find places to hunt game but as fast as the human population is growing and the more the need for space for population growth is needed. I think eventually what little habitat that is left where you can still find game in large enough numbers to accommodate hunters will be gone in the near future.

I use to think that our game & fish commission could keep things under control and all & all have done a ok job at trying. But one thing they can't control is the world population. And that is only growing by the thousands by each tick of the clock. And the game/fish or anyone can control. It's out of balance.
You need to read the book "1491". There is more to the buffalo, passenger pigeon, rain forest, Amazon jungle and human population that modern teachers want you to know. It explains the mound builders and such that are said to be mysteries in the woke history books.

I am the same way. I don't have anything against owls and I basically like all of god's creatures. I know that all have a place and purpose.

I was amazed at how many my friend had killed over the years just in that one area. And it wasn't like someone going out and poaching. My friend wasn't going out hunting them. He was just protecting his game cocks like a cattleman would shoot dogs killing his calves to protect his calves.

I am like a lot of others who grew up hunting. When game population's started dwindling, reclining. I was trying to figure out what was happening. Lot of things like herbicide spraying, trapping which is a thing of the past, loss of habitat and so on.

We all have our own theories as to what the causes and how to fix things are. My personal opinion is that the world population is nearing its maximum carrying capacity just like a cattleman's farm can only maintain so many head of cattle. The world can only sustain so many people. And that creates similar problems for us humans like we as hunters are seeing in our vanishing wildlife populations. I guess the best way to describe what I think has caused the decline of our wildlife is in general everything is out of balance and all man made problems.

Wasn't but around 100 years ago here in the United States alone wild buffalo out numbered all of the cattle we raise here now. And they didn't require no maintenance to sustain them. They thrived and done well. No fences needed, they didn't have to be vaccinated, fed hay in the winter and so on. That was the way with all of our wildlife. Was probably that way across the globe.

But as the human population begin to grow. It started taking away from habitat and migration routes for things like buffalo. Things started getting out of balance. It wasn't as noticeable when it first started. But as time passed things got more and more out of balance.

Habitat for all animals across the globe human animals included. Has steadily been declining. Oh there are spots here and there where you can still find places to hunt game but as fast as the human population is growing and the more the need for space for population growth is needed. I think eventually what little habitat that is left where you can still find game in large enough numbers to accommodate hunters will be gone in the near future.

I use to think that our game & fish commission could keep things under control and all & all have done a ok job at trying. But one thing they can't control is the world population. And that is only growing by the thousands by each tick of the clock. And the game/fish or anyone can control. It's out of balance.
Sounds like a lot of environmental activist rhetoric, to me. This kind of talk comes from myopic city dwellers and academics whose normal view is concrete, cars and the backside of their neighbors. It's what they see so they think that's what the whole world looks like.

I don't buy the "overpopulation and progress is the end of the world" spiel peddled by some. I think innovation has saved mankind over and over again.

Sounds like a lot of environmental activist rhetoric, to me. This kind of talk comes from myopic city dwellers and academics whose normal view is concrete, cars and the backside of their neighbors. It's what they see so they think that's what the whole world looks like.

I don't buy the "overpopulation and progress is the end of the world" spiel peddled by some. I think innovation has saved mankind over and over again.
Well the world was doing pretty good when the human population was growing slowly, with a few exceptions. The planet has never seen the kinds of things that have happened in the last hundred years... and it always takes a while to break a camel's back, one straw at a time. Innovation also includes how we've discovered how damaging we are, and how we can do things differently and sometimes even repair what we've done. But there are people actively engaged in thinking we can't fail even though there are problems we aren't solving. It's kind of funny how many of the discussions on this forum revolve around recognized environmental problems... and yet it's a test of faith to deny the human race has an impact.

Everyone complains about over population but no one is ever the 1st to volunteer to lead by example and get rid of themselves.. It's always "those other people' that are the ones that cause overpopulation.
My family has only had two children per couple since 1900... when world population was still fairly stable. And we haven't missed any of the kids we never had. In the last fifty years population has been growing at a fairly reliable steady rate of an extra billion every 11/12 years, even though there are less births per couple. It doesn't matter if the birth rate is declining if the rate of growth continues.

Everyone complains about over population but no one is ever the 1st to volunteer to lead by example and get rid of themselves.. It's always "those other people' that are the ones that cause overpopulation.
There's not a solution to over population. There is no need for there to be a first to volunteer people are getting killed, dieing from any number of things like cancer, heart attacks, murder you name it. People are dieing every second the clock ticks.

Hitler and Staling had factories to kill the Jews as fast as they could haul them in by the train loads. The atomic bombs dropped on Japan. You throw in all of the other mass destruction that has killed humans and nothing has ever slowed down global population.

The only thing that will is when the population reaches a point that the world's resources can't support the people living on it anymore. And even then the people who survive will continue to live once the numbers get back in check.

Sounds like you have been living under a rock and don't stick your head out and look around very often. I don't live in the city, never have. Have always live in remote county until the city started coming to me.

The problem is far less an issue of population and far more one of everyone spreading out because the cities are becoming unliveable due to the economy, crime, etc.

Don't worry, y'all, I'll fix it for the US when I'm president. I'll be enforcing mass deportations (not based entirely on immigration status, I'm also deporting people I don't like such as people who try to flag down the waitress when she's clearly taking my order), I'll force people who can't pass an American history exam to move back to the cities, and I'll also make it illegal to be over a certain weight.

Sounds like you have been living under a rock and don't stick your head out and look around very often. I don't live in the city, never have. Have always live in remote county until the city started coming to me.
Used to I was totally surrounded by timber company land. They are busting it up and selling tracts as fast as they can get it surveyed.
My tournament fishing partner is a surveyor here, it's mind boggling the people moving in and from where.
The companies are selling pine plantation that three years ago that was going for 1900 an acre to 10K today.
This is going to be another huge environmental change, lots of land cleaning going on.
Not sure how it will play on the wildlife and what will flourish or flounder . I am positive the hogs will benefit no matter what.

Latest posts