Turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Way to many turkeys. I've got turkeys getting in the barn, in the garden and even in the garage. The Toms are killing each other.
I started noticing it last fall. It's not your typical spring fighting. I found several dead Tom's and I've witnessed it twice.
The young Jake's are ganging up and killing the older Toms. Some type of population stress I assume. I don't care for wild turkey and hunting big chickens doesn't appeal to me. I'm considering day hunts. What's a big tom worth on a semi guided day hunt. ?

I have seen landowners asking $2,500.00 for the spring turkey lease, limit 4 birds.
Where in central Texas is your ranch?
On my ranch in Coleman county we see turkey in the spring, but not many and very few in the fall.
We were seeing more when I first bought the place but every year it seems to be less.
I think the predators are out of control.

Way to many turkeys. I've got turkeys getting in the barn, in the garden and even in the garage. The Toms are killing each other.
I started noticing it last fall. It's not your typical spring fighting. I found several dead Tom's and I've witnessed it twice.
The young Jake's are ganging up and killing the older Toms. Some type of population stress I assume. I don't care for wild turkey and hunting big chickens doesn't appeal to me. I'm considering day hunts. What's a big tom worth on a semi guided day hunt. ?
I was quoting you in my prior post.

I think they roosted on my roof last night IMG_20230226_075036.jpg
I have seen landowners asking $2,500.00 for the spring turkey lease, limit 4 birds.
On my ranch in Coleman county we see turkey in the spring, but not many and very few in the fall.
We were seeing more when I first bought the place but every year it seems to be less.

I'm right where Bell, Williamson and Burnet counties meet.
I've got another place on the lampasas/mills county line.
The home place is where the turkey are taking over. I've got plenty of predators here. In fact I've been thinking of doing a little hunting to thin the coyotes. I think the turkey are a result of clearing cedar and growing grass. Especially Sudan, Johnson grass and Kline grass. Idk. I could be wrong. Could be just that we pretty much ignore them.

Turkeys are a bordline nuisance here some times. I've had to stop on a gravel road because they were mating in the road. My dad will fire a shot to chase them off when he is deer hunting because there maybe be 60+ come out on a flock.

They like getting on the cottonseed the cattle the cattle drop.

I have friends who love turkey hunting. They have paid to go on hunts out of state and stuff. I always send them pics and videos to mess with them.

They are pretty though and I do like watching them some times.

My grandfather and I used to tear up the hills and mountains after birds. I miss that. I still go, but that's one of the types of hunting that just isn't the same. I started deer hunting by myself before I could even drive, but when he was alive I did about 75%+ of my turkey hunting with him. Didn't get a bird this past year, going to hammer our property and the nearby NF this year.

Our season in all of east Texas is closed for five years due to lack of turkey's.

I think they roosted on my roof last night View attachment 26734

The home place is where the turkey are taking over. I've got plenty of predators here. In fact I've been thinking of doing a little hunting to thin the coyotes. I think the turkey are a result of clearing cedar and growing grass. Especially Sudan, Johnson grass and Kline grass. Idk. I could be wrong. Could be just that we pretty much ignore them.
How are you clearing the cedar? What are you using? Nothing to do with turkeys but I love taking out cedars.

I think they roosted on my roof last night View attachment 26734

They like the open areas, especially around the trees they roost in.

Latest posts