Turkeys having fun with some feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

I have observed that in the winter they tend to flock by sex. The flock size can be impressive with some of the hen groups.

I have observed that in the winter they tend to flock by sex. The flock size can be impressive with some of the hen groups.
That's what I see around here in the winter, I think I counted around 30 or so with that group, I know up here they don't start breeding until April or later, down south lm not sure but I think its closer to the end of February or March.

Notice in the winter there will be 3 different type groups. Hens young and old together, jakes in their group and older toms in the smallest group.

We have a ridiculous amount of turkeys. As in, obnoxious and they need to go away. Right up by the house, hanging with the herd, in the barnyard, freaking out the barn cats, congregating around the deer feeder (they're not completely stupid).
The geese up here are more obnoxious than the turkeys, I'll take the turkeys anyday.

We have a ridiculous amount of turkeys. As in, obnoxious and they need to go away. Right up by the house, hanging with the herd, in the barnyard, freaking out the barn cats, congregating around the deer feeder (they're not completely stupid).
I always enjoy a good turkey dinner! Hahaha

Is there a season and harvest quota?

I love to watch wild turkeys. Sometimes we call them in while hunting them just to watch them. Some of my best hunting stories happened during turkey hunts.

Best turkey I ever ate was wild turkey that was cooked in a wood-fired smoker. Far better than the grocery store turkey. Geese are mean with an entitled attitude. Used to migrate, but seem to live year round here in office parks and similar areas with ponds. They make a mess on the sidewalks. End up with an obstacle course trying to get into the building without stepping into "goose grease".

Growing up there weren't any turkeys here. Nowadays see some almost everyday sometimes more than one group. I've been feeding some whole corn and it seems like they are following after the cattle. Pigeons from town are doing the same.

Latest posts