Turkeys 🦃 3 coachg 0

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Turkey season in Alabama opened Saturday. I have gone all 3 mornings,Sat, Sun, and now Monday. I'm not a great caller but I'm trying to learn. I have seen or heard gobblers all 3 mornings. Beautiful sunrises, and enjoying Gods creation. All on our own farm . Maybe there's one dumb one out there somewhere !

Have they been strutting before the season opened?

What I am getting at is it can be very difficult to get a gobbler early because there are so many real hens open. I've had better luck mid to late because they have ot one their mind but maybe can't find the hens. Single gobblers cover ground looking for hens is the best scenario for me.

If you want to increase your odds greatly, get a MOJO gobbler. The movement is amazing.

Turkey season in Alabama opened Saturday. I have gone all 3 mornings,Sat, Sun, and now Monday. I'm not a great caller but I'm trying to learn. I have seen or heard gobblers all 3 mornings. Beautiful sunrises, and enjoying Gods creation. All on our own farm . Maybe there's one dumb one out there somewhere !
pretty clear there's at least 1 dumb one out there. :)
p.s.
just joking

Aside from that, can I ask how you're hunting them? My favorite way to bust those mofos is to already be located within a certain distance of where they're roosted and calling to them before they even pitch out. You can get one done up in an hour if you're already in his stomping ground when he starts feeling pretty on the roost. After that, if I haven't had any early morning luck then I hunt them the way many hunt deer up through the mid morning, pick some areas where they feed, dust or strut, or screw and then be there concealed doing a few social calls every so often (clucking, mild purring and cutting), dekes optional. I do alright when I have time to go. I wish I could call like my grandfather, he only used leaves to call with, never bought a turkey call, and he could talk one into getting in the truck of its own volition if he really wanted to.

Are you using decoys to ''aim'' them in your direction? Sometimes they will sneak in for a quick look and then they are gone back to the hens.

Those mornings listening to the turkeys does not have to involve pulling the trigger for a perfect hunt.

I'm calling in a ringer Thursday morning. My former pastor is a turkey 🦃 killer . He saw me Saturday and told me he would come call one in for me .
It's real easy to call turkeys. My preacher says all you have to do is make the sound with your throat... and shake your head back and forth fast enough to make your cheeks wobble and flap. I think pastors have a special affinity for callings... (wink)

I absolutely love turkey hunting.
Toughest place I ever hunted was Hill county Texas.
You be talking to one and another would slip up beside you telling the world where you where.

Going to call today a win coachg 1 🦃 3 . Saw multiple birds , worked one that was gobbling and let 2 jakes live for another day . Had a coyote run through the decoys ( think he saw us and choose not to tarry . ) More deer than I can remember and one that I thought was going to kiss me and the preacher. Good morning!

Latest posts