Turkey tips.

Help Support CattleToday:

It will be a great bird! Just keep it out of the reach of the dog. Follow 1982vett's advice and you'll be fine. Happy Thanksgiving.

P.S. Take a photo so we can see how it turned out, okay?

I really like those cooking bags -- and for the life of me I can't think of the brand name; I think they're just called Cook-in Bags or something similar. They are pretty much foolproof for a nicely-browned and moist bird -- and a lot less mess! Just make sure you get the right size for your bird.

Just make sure you use a thermometer so it is fully cooked and baste often to keep the bird moist .

I like to do a wash with EVO and spices ; and sear the bird first to get the skin extra crispy at a high heat , and then bring it down for the rest of the cooking time.

We usually do a duck in the same roaster as the turkey so it is all moist and tender , I cook breast down too.

I am sure it will turn out famously,and delicious. Happy Thanksgiving !! :tiphat:

It should have said evoo Gale, extra virgin olive oil ,some say that just plain olive oil does a better wash. I have also been known to place butter under the skin of the turkey sometimes too, to help from it getting dry. :hide: I know not the healthiest .
My dad and husband hate turkey, so I need to use every trick in the book to get them to eat thus the cooking duck and turkey together . :help: Seriously considering doing the chicken in the duck, in the turkey, for Christmas this year . ;-)

I personally think smoking like Hook does, is the best way to go .

My tip for the day: Leave the giant Barn Yard Buzzard to the dogs and eat beef

Dun, I like your line of thinking. When we go to my brother's we have beef tenderloin, nice and rare. But we're not going to my brother's. Bah humbug!

Gale Seddon":17ozortz said:
Dun, I like your line of thinking. When we go to my brother's we have beef tenderloin, nice and rare. But we're not going to my brother's. Bah humbug!
Then get a ham, at least that is edible meat

I figure a duck has one purpose .... to produce more ducks. Horse's ass would probably taste better to me. Although we did cook and eat an owl and a hawk one day many years ago.

CottageFarm":1apgvd63 said:
Can't really disagree with Dun, however sometimes you just have to please others too.
This is the most foolproof way to prepare a turkey I've ever tried. It's been perfect every time.
http://youtu.be/uiSfKDiUavo

Alton Brown knows his stuff but IMO 8 hours is not long enough for a turkey

Jogeephus":a4q2jbzd said:
CottageFarm":a4q2jbzd said:
Can't really disagree with Dun, however sometimes you just have to please others too.
This is the most foolproof way to prepare a turkey I've ever tried. It's been perfect every time.
http://youtu.be/uiSfKDiUavo

Alton Brown knows his stuff but IMO 8 hours is not long enough for a turkey

Agreed Jo. I do mine for 18-24 hours and change the brine recipe as well. But if one has never brined before, it's a pretty fail-proof method to follow.

dun":2frdwwn9 said:
Gale Seddon":2frdwwn9 said:
Then get a ham, at least that is edible meat
Both of my sisters fixed turkeys this year, one of them usually does a ham. Since we were only having one get-together, I baked one of my grandson's 4-H cured meat project hams. Everyone said it was 'some kinda good' and I had to agree. I told him he did a good job but I wasn't sure it was worth what I had to pay for it at the county fair youth auction! He just grinned and said, "Grandpa, you woulda paid twice that much and we both know it! That's one of the reasons I love you so much!" Lord help me, this will be my only grandaughter's 1st year in 4-H! She has already named her market hogs - we don't get them until April! I hope CB is about ready to go to the publisher with his new book - 'How to say no to a grandaughter' :lol: :lol: :lol:

fit2btied":13frtyd2 said:
I hope CB is about ready to go to the publisher with his new book - 'How to say no to a grandaughter' :lol: :lol: :lol:
One blank sheet of paper doesn;t make much of a book

Latest posts