Turkey hunting?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lately I've been seeing geese just standing around in random places. Unlike turkeys, they're pretty slow if you catch them on the ground.

ga.prime":1cm48h68 said:
Lately I've been seeing geese just standing around in random places. Unlike turkeys, they're pretty slow if you catch them on the ground.
Geese are getting over populated around these parts.

True Grit Farms":125gm3ac said:
ga.prime":125gm3ac said:
Geese are getting over populated around these parts.
I think you're right, and they're loud and obnoxious. I'd lot rather hear turkeys gobbling than geese honking. Started hearing whippoorwills just this week. I always like hearing them.

Youth season this weekend. Been down right cold. Son killed a nice gobbler yesterday. I'm taking youngest daughter this afternoon.

Like to hear them gobble.Never spring hunted because we always had hen's nest here and Daddy said if you scared a hen away from her nest,she wouldn't go back.
Coyotes may be keeping them quieter than they used to be.

I never had any when I lived over on the coast. Here I have 18 in the yard most every day. There is one gobbler who seems to go every where all puffed up and strutting. He was even going to take on my pickup one day when I was pulling in the driveway. Season opens up here next week but I don't know that I would shoot one. It would be more like shooting fish in a barrel than hunting.

Son and I sat in a blind yesterday afternoon but didn't see any nor hear any. It was snowing it's butt off though. Got a couple of inches out of no where.

Haven't got very many around this year at all. Our population is getting thinner and thinner the last few years. Guess it's because of an abundance of predators, hunters, and nest robbers. I was ready for this season but have recently about came to the conclusion to skip it.

FlyingLSimmentals":35y8ek3y said:
Haven't got very many around this year at all. Our population is getting thinner and thinner the last few years. Guess it's because of an abundance of predators, hunters, and nest robbers. I was ready for this season but have recently about came to the conclusion to skip it.

Much thinner at my place to. I have caught black buzzards breaking up a nest on two different occasions.

i have them on my place but most don't around here..

they all come over wanting to shoot them.. I'm like.. nah they are ok.. you can shoot the deer.

I haven't went and don't plan to go. There's 2 - 3 old tom's in the territory or community around here and 6-8 jakes. Brother killed one of the jakes and he's been breeding with his feathers worn off well. Just shows you not many toms if he's getting some hens.