Tulsa Results!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Snider_Angus

Reaction score
Showed that Angus heifer that had been posted on here before, in the Commercial Class on sunday.
There was 25 classes of commercial calves and it took about 5 hours to get through all of them cause the dang kids couldnt get there when they were called and were always waiting on someone. I showed in Class 6 and got 3rd out of 4. The judge told me i was tied with 2nd but the other calf had 100 lbs. on me. Went back and showed against 20 in the bred and owned class and didnt win. Then went back in the intermediate showmanship and got Reserved Champion(and won a new showstick) I had a great time and learned more than ever. Im not gonna mention all of the Illeagel practices that went on across the isle from us. Involved a 2 liter bottle of 7up and a calf.

the people across from us had all there heifers in chutes and were forcing liters of 7up down them. the 3rd rule in the rulebook in no foriegn(sp) liquid or substance in any animal.

to make them bloat??
Or, was it alcohol in 7up bottles- that makes more sense to me [not sayin that it's good. just sayin that i've seen that before]

Nice job at your show!

Seven Up & Sprite has been a common practice for years. Most of the time, one will add 1-2 liter to a 5 gal. bucket of water. We had one heifer that liked it straight. I don't think 7 Up could be classified as a foreign substance. If they were pumping or drenching, that's a different story.

Good job with Showmanship. Tulsa is a great show. The competition is always tough, with lots of good cattle.

If they were pumping or drenching, that's a different story.
The were actually doing that. They had the heifer in a fitting chute and had her head tied with 3 ropes to each side and on top. Then they got two, 2liter bottles of 7up out of their box and shoved the bottle down the heifers throght(sp) and started squeezing. SHe fought it the whole time and after 4 liters they stopped. I asked some guys i was with why didnt someone turn them in and they said because if they ever find out who turned em in they were scared of what they might do to our calves.

karlie45":1t69izet said:
KNERSIE":1t69izet said:
what good is the 7up supposed to do?

thats what i was wondering...

The carbonation will fill them out it a calf is a little gant from not drinking and eating well.
7Up does not cause them to bloat, just fill.

I can't imagine that kind of drenching going on at Tulsa. There are usually officials everywhere. If the calf was sucked up bad enough for them to take that kind of chance, I don't think it would have done a whole lot of good.

AAOK":15jh8fpo said:
Seven Up & Sprite has been a common practice for years. Most of the time, one will add 1-2 liter to a 5 gal. bucket of water. We had one heifer that liked it straight. I don't think 7 Up could be classified as a foreign substance. If they were pumping or drenching, that's a different story.

Good job with Showmanship. Tulsa is a great show. The competition is always tough, with lots of good cattle.

This is from the National Show Ring Code of ethics:

"4. Treating of animals internally or externally, with any irritant, counter-irritant or other substance used to artificially change the conformation or appearance of an animal for show is considered unethical, inhumane, and is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to the use of graphite, powders, hemp, artificial hair coloring, common products such as fly spray, ointment or liniment, used to the point that it is irritating,(unless required to reduce edema at the time of calving) or similar products. The use of dyes, spray paint, or other artificial coloring which result in altering an animal’s true and natural appearance and/or color is prohibited. Adding false hair orhair-like material, fleece, or skin at any point, spot or area of the animal’s body is illegal and will result in immediate disqualification. Any liquid or substance not considered part of an accepted and normal diet for livestock is deemed illegal and inhumane. For example; the use of alcoholic or carbonated beverages as a drench, filler, etc"

This kind of stuff burns me beyond belief. Bad enough when it was being done "out back".. but to do it in the aisle, with people everywhere is totally WRONG. If I see it happening, you can bet your $&# that EVERYONE will know about it! If we don't start doing something about it, what's going to stop it?? What are parents teaching their kids with practices like this? C'mon people.. this is a cattle show! If you don't win because your calf is sunk in, what's the big deal?? There's another show next weekend. How can anyone feel the exhilaration of winning when you're cheating to get there??? :mad:

Latest posts