Tuli Cattle???

Help Support CattleToday:

phillse

Reaction score
I have been hearing lots of things on the benifits of Tuli crossbred cattle. Does anyone have any personal experience with this breed? They are supposed to be very fertile, have good udders. I guess my question is do they have the problems of other breeds such as Senpol of being fine boned, leggy, and light muscled. Any information uu have would be appreciated. Since I teach HS Ag, I am always looking for reliable real world experiences to use in teaching. I would like to know if more about the breed than what is found on the breed website or on OK State website.

Thanks for you input.

I am a Zimbabwean cattleman (home of the Tuli) and have invested in 4 young Tuli bulls for my crossbreeding and purebreeding programs. I am in contact with the son of Len Harvey (the cattleman who improved the original Tuli) and he has all the information you require about the Tuli.

Check with the American Tuli Association or the Briggs Ranch here in TX Larry North is the guy you should speak to at [email protected] Ken Briggs raises both Tuli, Wagyu and a mixed called Waguli. Larry is quite knowlegeable about the Tuli breed. I have some Tuli crosses from him myself. If you can't reach Larry let me know I'll call him.

Phillse, I can answer from 30 years experience of Tuli breeding,I have seen most of the more popular breeds crossed with the Tuli with various family members involved with different crosses in areas as divers as Okahanja in Namibia to the colder, high rainfall area of Delmas in South Africa.
Welcome, Mathias, I am from Bulawayo, bred Tuli in Matabeleland, exporting to Namibia and South Africa in the 70's and 80's, and have recently started the first Tuli herd in North Carolina here in the U.S.A.
This old discussion has some good links, all the research was done prior to the breed being available commercially, so is persumably unbiased; http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=#142369

The pictures in the photo album are typical of good Tulii Cattle conformation wise, there are links and articles of interest on this site; http://tuli.co.za/

andybob":5pqo47re said:
Phillse, I can answer from 30 years experience of Tuli breeding,I have seen most of the more popular breeds crossed with the Tuli with various family members involved with different crosses in areas as divers as Okahanja in Namibia to the colder, high rainfall area of Delmas in South Africa.
Welcome, Mathias, I am from Bulawayo, bred Tuli in Matabeleland, exporting to Namibia and South Africa in the 70's and 80's, and have recently started the first Tuli herd in North Carolina here in the U.S.A.
This old discussion has some good links, all the research was done prior to the breed being available commercially, so is persumably unbiased; http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ht=#142369

The pictures in the photo album are typical of good Tulii Cattle conformation wise, there are links and articles of interest on this site; http://tuli.co.za/

Just registered on this site. I am from Bulawayo also and have recently started breeding Tuli's in Gweru. I have read most of your contributions on this site and have found them to be very helpful given that i am just starting out. I have also received a lot of advice from Bryan Harvey who still has the largest herd of purebred Tulis in Zim. Congratulations on taking the Tuli around the world. I think your experience with the Tuli in Zim, Namibia, UK, USA etc is a true testament to the adaptability of this breed.

Just remember, many of the cattle and bulls that are in the states should have been meat. Its always the scourge of a new breed being introduced to the states...that knife wasnt used as it should have been. Good luck if you go the Tuli way, cattlemen can never have too many choices of breeds.

houstoncutter":ir1t9ojj said:
Just remember, many of the cattle and bulls that are in the states should have been meat. Its always the scourge of a new breed being introduced to the states...that knife wasnt used as it should have been. Good luck if you go the Tuli way, cattlemen can never have too many choices of breeds.
I agree that new breeds often attract the fad breeders and get rich quick types, so far the South African breeders association have maintained the high standards set by Len Harvey, the breed founder, and we can only hope the same standards will be maintained here in the U.S.A.
At present, I can actually make more on a steer than on a bull, so the profit incentive is not there as a temptation, plus I have two neighbours who will critique any bulls I intend to sell, so I have some safety checks over and above my having the best interests of my breed at heart.

andybob":arnbugig said:
houstoncutter":arnbugig said:
I agree that new breeds often attract the fad breeders and get rich quick types, so far the South African breeders association have maintained the high standards set by Len Harvey, the breed founder, and we can only hope the same standards will be maintained here in the U.S.A.
At present, I can actually make more on a steer than on a bull, so the profit incentive is not there as a temptation, plus I have two neighbours who will critique any bulls I intend to sell, so I have some safety checks over and above my having the best interests of my breed at heart.

I hope that the Tuli breeders will keep high standards. I know I looked into the breed back in the late 90's. At that time the difference in the looks of the animals that were available versus what I saw overseas was tremendous. Maybe I will have to give the breed a fresh look

Latest posts