Tubing

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
I want to share something that might hopefully help someone else...

I have a rather sick calf (pneumonia) and we've been fighting it hard for a couple weeks...
Well, last Thursday (today is Wednesday) she quit eating so on Friday I started tubing her...2qts milk replacer a.m., 2 qts electrolytes in afternoon and then 2 qts replacer again in the p.m.
My husband suggested maybe she's not eating on her own due to the irritation the tube could be causing in her throat and, me being a woman, I argued back saying SHE HAS TO HAVE NUTRITION OR SHE WILL DIE!!

So, I called the vet....and here's what she told me...
They only recommend tubing for a maximum of 3 days BECAUSE the calf will become dependent on the tube. They lose the "will" to eat on their own and will wait for someone to come tube them instead of going back to the bottle or eating starter on their own. She said since I had already tubed her Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday that I should STOP and no matter how it tried my patience, I needed to get her back on the bottle. This rang true with me because the calf would come to me like she was hungry but then WOULD NOT take the bottle. So, FIRST I checked for dehydration, AGAIN, and she was fine...then I just stuck to my guns and refused to go to the tube. I got her to take 1 pint yesterday a.m. Last night she took a pint again. This morning was 2 pints. I'm hoping we're going to get back on track... (I'm mixing full strength powder with 2 pints liquid...just to get the full ration in her) as she's still drinking from the trough.

but, in the future if anyone has to resort to the tube then please keep in mind that once on, you may never get them back off if you're not careful to stop after a couple/few days. I never would have dreamed that a calf would WAIT for the tube but I sure think thats what mine was doing by Monday....

Knocking on wood, I've never had to use a tube. I have force fed many. There is a tube kit out in the shed and it was almost used one time.

I am a bit more stubborn than they are it seems. :D

Thats very good information WF, thanks!
I would have had a hard time waiting out the calf as well.
Glad to hear she is doing better, and really glad you are back on the boards! :nod:

Thanks Angie...your kind words are welcomed more than you know as tonight has not been a good night...

I had been mixing her bottle full strength powder but 1/2 water as I'd read on the boards and she took it like that at both feedings yesterday and this morning but tonight she won't touch the bottle.
I tried pouring it in a bucket...to see if she would drink it that way (which I figured she wouldn't) and it was a no go....
So, (y'all can ridicule me if you want) but I'm back to bawling my eyes out over her... that dammmmn calf has had me on an emotional rollercoaster and I can honestly say I've never been so frustrated with anything in my entire life. I know I let it get to me more than most would...but I can't help it. I want so bad to just dump a good meal in her but I know that's only prolonging the inevitable if she won't eat on her own.

We weighed her yesterday...she was 109 (down from 115 a couple weeks ago)...I'd read where someone had cut the tip off the bottle and added oatmeal and basicly poured it down their throat...and I can say I'm tempted to try that...its about the only thing I haven't tried. I've been stuffing the Startena in her mouth (which she'll chew that mouthful) but it doesn't inspire her to go get more. Before she got sick she'd been eating it. I keep thinking...she's 2 months old...if I could get her going to the grain then I wouldn't have to even mess with the stinking bottle...but she just won't do it...she'll get up to come greet me but won't eat to save herself... I know you bigger guys are saying, "its costing you money...she won't be worth anything if she DOES make it...let it go and move on". I know you're right but I just can't turn my back until I know that I've done everything I can.

Sorry...just needed to vent a little...I'm going to the Coffee Shop to see if I can find something to make me laugh...thanks again.

I once went three days like that. Basically just getting straddle of the calf, holding its head up with my forearm cradling the neck and hand opening the mouth, its backside up to a fence to keep it from backing out. I would squeeze both the bottle and jaws to get milk in its throat and hold it until the calf swallowed. Much dripped onto the ground but a large percentage went down. Maybe to the right stomach or maybe to the wrong stomach. On the end of the third day the calf (a twin that was abandonned) agressively went after the bottle. Some of ya'll may have heard me whoop with joy.

I agree 100% with you and angus on the tube. I'll tube a calf a time or two, but after that I'll use a bottle with the nipple cut off and make them swallow their milk. I find the less I use a tube the less calves we have that won't drink on a long term basis. Sometimes a hand full of oatmeal in that milk can be a help.

Wisteria, I copied and pasted the advice I gave you 6 days ago, I think it is consistant with what your vet said. One of the problems with the tube is that we never feed the perfect amount. At this point if you can get a pint at a time down her, you're just going to have to do that more often. Possibly try giving her some yogurt if you have it. Try to prepare yourself for the worst, you do the best you can, but you don't always win.

:heart:

Larry

I know how you feel - little rascals can get to you. As long as it is an older calf, we have given B complex vitamins to "make" them hungry. it has - so far - worked to get them to suck a bottle.
Valerie

Just an update.. I WAS successful getting her back on the bottle... took several days and much patience but she's back to eating almost a full bottle morning and night. I think she's going to be a lunger (whatever that is)... I'm going to post a seperate post on that... but thanks everyone!!

Wisteria Farms":17shyaf6 said:
I think she's going to be a lunger (whatever that is)... I'm going to post a seperate post on that... but thanks everyone!!
A "lunger" is what we used to refer to a person that had TB.
In cattle is one with chronic repritory problems, lung damage, etc.
Not a scientific term but it is pretty explanatory.

Thanks Dun... I did make another post on it but thank you. I was "inquiring" as to the outcome of a lunger...this calf seems to be TRYING to recover from this pneumonia but just can't shake the loose cough.

Latest posts