Tubing questions

Help Support CattleToday:

grulla

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a fool-proof, sure-fire method of tubing? Keep in mind that I'm a 41 year old woman who has to do this by myself

grulla,

Not foolproof or sure-fired.

There are many different techniques...it depends on what size/age the animal is, and what works best for you regarding your facilities and abilities. Strength is not much of a factor, as long as you are not riding and roping the critter.

The main thing that I believe is important, is that you have a tube that is made for tubing, its beveled on the end, for a smoother entry. Lubrication is very important, use some KY or other water based lube, not oil. Oil can be deadly in the lungs and the tube will go into the lungs sooner or later.

Grease up the tube, and remember...have a destination. Maybe you want to fix bloat...go in several feet....or, to re-hydrate, go just past the mid-throat. Rub the cows neck as you push it in, and look for swallowing, its a good sign. Choking and coughing means pull out, you are in the airway. Usually the tube will go down the right way.

You will have to get the cow in a headgate...and tie up her head. A calf is much easier than a full size bull...obviously. They do not enjoy the procedure, nor will you, but it is quickly forgotten by most cows, and they realize you helped, not hurt them.

Air sounds and moisture (hold a mirror to the end of the hose, it will fog up a tad most days) and you are in the lungs.(Don't worry about hitting them).

Stinky smell and sounds that don't correspond directly to breathing...you are in the right spot.

Others will add their words, most more experienced than I.

One question...Why are you tubing this cow?

First of all you need a headgate for doing this safely. Then you need a Frick speculum to place into the back of the mouth and through which you will thread the tube. (get at Nasco on line for $19) I had to tube 6 or 7 calves one weekend, before I had the cannula, the critter continues to chew on the tube once it is in the stomach and they chew holes in it, or worse, chew it in two.

So now you put the speculum into the side of the mouth having previoulsly estimated the distance to the back of the throat. Ease it in, hold it in place and run the tube through it. I do not lubricate the tube just use the soapy water in the pale I will use for the bloat treatment. Slowly thread it to the stomach, again having estimated the distance before inserting it and marking the distance on the stomach tube with tape. Like the other fellow said, if they cough ease it back and reinsert. once in the stomach you will smell methane come out. you can put the end in the pale and if bubbles come out with each breath it is in the lung, but that is very rare in my experience. I'm sure others will be able to suggest a cheaper speculum, but $19 was OK with me.

Pump in a bit of fluid to be sure it does not cause coughing, and then give your anti-bloat med or whatever. It can be done alone, I have done it, but it is better to have one assistant.

Billy

I guess I interpreted your question differently. I ASSUME you want to know how to tube a calf. There is NO PERFECTLY SAFE & SUREFIRE WAY of doing this. Always a risk, but can be minimum.
First, you need an esophigheal (sp?) tuber. It has a "ball" at the end of the tube to prevent entering the lungs.
You want the calf standing, between your legs, with their head in front, I back them into a corner where I can grab a gate or something to balance myself if they get fighting. Hold their head up & insert the tube, SLOWLY push it in the side of their throat, wait for them to swollow the "ball" end of the tube. Insert it all the way, THAN release the milk/fluid.
I use the kind that is a calf baby bottle with the hard plastic tube attached. I fold the tube in half at the end closest to the bottle - this way no fluid will escape down the tube until you are ready. When tube is in place, just pick up the bottle & fluid will flow.
Hold on, they will fight if they have any spunk at all.
Hope this is what you needed.

Yes, Calves only...I would not attempt this with an adult cow. And my purpopse for the tubing is to get electrolytes into a dehydrated calf...

Have fun while you're doing it. Work swift and deliberate getting the calf between your legs and into the corner if you halve to. Lube the bulb in the calves mouth to make it slide easier. The calf will usualy chew on the tube and be able to yell when you are in the right spot. You will get more confident each day.

I had to tube Liberty the 64 lb. heifer on July 1 and continued for four a five days. A week later she weighed 65 lbs and was gaining stamina. Last night she weighed 88 lbs. She runs in the pasture for a couple of minutes when I let her out now but she soon runs out of steam and pants like a dog.(while I'm laughing my butt off. If she had webed hooves I would check back through some records to make sure she isn't part Black Lab.

I have a plastic bottle and need to break the vaccuum on the bottle four or five times(while lowering the bottle) to keep it from colapsing too far.

While your tubing, it's a good opportunity to lift their hide like a tent to check for the level of dehydration. You are also close to check for sunkin eyes and dry gumes. If they get that far, you may need to call in some help. This is also a good time to rub on some fly dope.