Tubing-how much

Help Support CattleToday:

Hunny Do Ranch

Reaction score
I was asked tonight how much you can tube into a calf at once and I didn't know the answer. I usually do 2 litres(4 pints I think). But when I am cottle feeding them they get 4 litres(1 gallon) per feeding, can you put that into a calf when tubing?
I would almost be scared to do that but I don't know. How much do you put into them when you tube them?

Hi-- Depending on the age and the health of the calf is a factor. Usually if the calf is in good health--(younger) no more than 2 qts to starts. If the calf is sickly--I will give a qt then go back a few hours later and give another qt. Hope this helps.

rosebudbeef":2i0xso5x said:
Hi-- Depending on the age and the health of the calf is a factor. Usually if the calf is in good health--(younger) no more than 2 qts to starts. If the calf is sickly--I will give a qt then go back a few hours later and give another qt. Hope this helps.

I'd definitely be more comfortable with doing it like this. The thing is, a calf is seldom healthy if it requires a tube, so I'd go with what rosebudbeef said about staggering smaller amounts out.

I learned the hard, ugly way that you should never overfeed with a tube. Yeah, it's a hassle and a pain to tube a calf, but dumping a full 4 pints into a little calf all at once is asking for trouble. AND, if you use a tube that isn't nicked up, it sure helps as far as keeping the calf's throat from getting irritated. That's why I like the stainless steel tubes. But, that's just me, now... :)

Alice

Hunny Do Ranch":wskrp8us said:
I was asked tonight how much you can tube into a calf at once and I didn't know the answer. I usually do 2 litres(4 pints I think). But when I am cottle feeding them they get 4 litres(1 gallon) per feeding, can you put that into a calf when tubing?
I would almost be scared to do that but I don't know. How much do you put into them when you tube them?

It depends on the calf and the circumstances - but usually no more than 1 quart every 2 hours for a newborn. For me, tubing is a last ditch option, so I only tube if I can't get anything down the calf via bottle. If I can get a half-pint or a pint down the calf via bottle, I will bottle him/her every half hour - hour before I will ever consider tubing them.

Hunny Do Ranch":34dz3z75 said:

To put this another way would be to ask ,how much gas do I need to put in my tank? Well,it would depend on the size of the tank and how much is gone. The calf is somewhat the same.
The % dehydration times the weight gives us the amount that has to be replaced.As Alice and the others have have stated less and more often is better.What I have noticed in newer calfraisers is that they fail to realize how far behind the calf is on water.In severely dehydrated calves oral rehydration may not be enough.A better option in these calves would be IV therapy along with oral therapy.Keep in mind as well that we have to not only catch him up on fluids ,but also compensate for what he is losing.

Larry

larryshoat":155b78fv said:
Hunny Do Ranch":155b78fv said:

To put this another way would be to ask ,how much gas do I need to put in my tank? Well,it would depend on the size of the tank and how much is gone. The calf is somewhat the same.
The % dehydration times the weight gives us the amount that has to be replaced.As Alice and the others have have stated less and more often is better.What I have noticed in newer calfraisers is that they fail to realize how far behind the calf is on water.In severely dehydrated calves oral rehydration may not be enough.A better option in these calves would be IV therapy along with oral therapy.Keep in mind as well that we have to not only catch him up on fluids ,but also compensate for what he is losing.

Larry

Great analogy! :)

Alice

I've never given more than 2 quarts at one feeding to a newborn calf wether it's thru a tube or a bottle. When bucket feeding calves when they are a few weeks old I up it to about 3 quarts per feeding . I keep the amount of milk replacer the same , just mix it in more water.

I've never given more than 2 quarts at one feeding to a newborn calf wether it's thru a tube or a bottle. When bucket feeding calves when they are a few weeks old I up it to about 3 quarts per feeding . I keep the amount of milk replacer the same , just mix it in more water.

no more than 2 quarts. you can goto http://www.calfnotes.com and it has some good notes. I always tube as last resort instead of immediately getting the tube. My experience is that calves too big are more likely to get the tube, but calves too small will usually suck if you have patience.