Tube feeding calf

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
Had a week old LimAngus calf die this weekend. Was born last week and noticed it laying around alot. Mother didn't have a super huge udder, but calf did nurse. Brought it in to get out of the weather Thurs night. On Friday night saw it was hunched up, but moms udder was wet. Sat morning calf was flat on its side bawling. I was just about to put it out of it's misery, but thought what if it wasn't getting enough to eat. I mixed up milk replacer and tub fed it. Two hours later it was laying upright, head up, and ears perked up. Called vet and he said to feed some electrolytes and milk replacer staggered at four hour intervals till it was up. I fed two quarts staggered and by the evening it was dead. I wish I would have followed my gut instinct and fed it in the morning the first time and waited til later in the day to give the electrolyes, maybe eight hour intervals.What are your experiences with situations like this?

Ya' know, I'm not one to go contray to vets' expertise and instructions from experts, but sometimes I think, when it comes to tubing, full amounts aren't really in the calf's best interests.

I've been thru the same thing you have...on more than one occasion, and it stinks. It sounds as tho the calf needed the electrolytes because it perked up.

I really am an advocate of feeding full complements of milk replacer with less water. I know it goes against the grain of many folks, but since I read an article on it, and began trying it, I've had much better luck, especially when it comes to tubing.

I began feeding or tubing (if it was required) a full bottle of electrolytes then 2-4 hours later feeding/tubing a full complement of milk replacer with a half bottle of water when calves scoured. I've come to the conclusion that some calves can't handle too much liquid at once.

And, chances are, the calf had a gut problem anyway...maybe an obstruction and it wouldn't have mattered what you did. However, your instincts are good to follow, 'cause when it comes to bottle feeding baby calves...information, experience, trial and error, instincts and plain old luck all come into play.

Alice

All newborns have essentially the same needs. The two biggies are dehydration and hypoglycemia. They need the liquid, the sugar, and the electrolytes. No milk till they perk up and stay perked up. I've saved more than a few with gatoraid. Works if you can't put your hands on the better stuff right away.
Steven

S&J":2osxglun said:
All newborns have essentially the same needs. The two biggies are dehydration and hypoglycemia. They need the liquid, the sugar, and the electrolytes. No milk till they perk up and stay perked up. I've saved more than a few with gatoraid. Works if you can't put your hands on the better stuff right away.
Steven

Gatorade is good...I also use Jello water with the electrolytes mixed in it. At least they are getting some calories with the gatorade/jello water. The only problem is...the sugar. Some calves can't tolerate the sugar. However, when it gets to that point, when I'm worried about them tolerating sugar, I figure it's a do or die situation. What can I say...

However, this is where we're gonna disagree:
No milk till they perk up and stay perked up.

If, after 2 days, they haven't had milk, I'm gonna give it to 'em. No way will I wait, ever again, to see if they've quit scouring, or whatever. I've watched calves starved to death withholding milk...withholding the fat and nutrients it provides...because of the misguided notion that milk causes scours. Now, I will re-introduce the milk a little at a time, but I won't totally withhold it...never again.

Alice

I have used the high energy gels for cows in the big tubes on calves that seem like they are in need of a boost. I think it works great! I give a couple tsp every couple hours or so and it perks them right up and helps their appetite improve. Some of them were newborn beef calves that are still nursing on mom but maybe not getting enough milk from mom yet. Always have on hand the energy gel, probiotics and electrolytes in many different brands. Some work better then the other.

My vet had me give a newborn whole milk for the first few days of life. Said they get their nutrition from the milk fat at first and is palatble & easy on their stomach. The little monster really seemed to prefer it over the milk replacer. Has anyone tried this?
After a few days we started mixing in the reconstituted milk replacer and gradually switched him over.

I have a twin heifer that was a little premature. She had to have whole milk as she suffered from immature bowel syndrome
and could not process the milk replacer. She would bloat and
nearly died several times. Once she was switched to whole milk
she did great! The folks in the grocery store ask me what i was
doing with all the milk! :p When she was 2 and a half weeks
old I gradually got her on the milk replacer. She is now 6 months old and weighs 600 lbs. Her birthweight was 38lbs.
( hereford). She is a sweetie! :heart:

we always start ours on whole milk for a few days to a week. If they do well we mix so that by the end of the second week they're on the replacer. If they go down, nurse them back with electrolytes or gatoraid. I agree, too much sugar in gatoraid, but it can be cut in half. Remember hyploglycemia many times is what starts them "circling the drain". They should perk up in 24 hours. Try introducing the whole milk first.

I've read and heard about whole milk before in re: baby calves...it's worth a try. Thanks,

Alice

CWT Angus":3id7xzox said:
My vet had me give a newborn whole milk for the first few days of life. Said they get their nutrition from the milk fat at first and is palatble & easy on their stomach. The little monster really seemed to prefer it over the milk replacer. Has anyone tried this?

Anytime we have a newborn that needs a jump start, we use whole milk.

Latest posts