tub licks

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Is it a good idea to use a tub lick in these summer months when the grass is at its best or not? Or is it even needed? If the tub lick isnt the best choice for a suppliment (if needed at all) what is? :?:

JD":3nu8jmix said:
Is it a good idea to use a tub lick in these summer months when the grass is at its best or not? Or is it even needed? If the tub lick isnt the best choice for a suppliment (if needed at all) what is? :?:

If your forage is of high quality now it would be a waste of money (in my opinion) to provide another nutrition source. If you have cool season grasses the quality of the forage drops pretty low during June-August and a supplement while not necesarry it doesn't hurt.

dun

dun":2d6uphah said:
JD":2d6uphah said:

If your forage is of high quality now it would be a waste of money (in my opinion) to provide another nutrition source. If you have cool season grasses the quality of the forage drops pretty low during June-August and a supplement while not necesarry it doesn't hurt.

dun
Doesn't hurt -Except in your pocket book!! I have yet to see any forage tested - even in the winter - that needs much protein - energy is generally the low nutrient - so soy hulls or even corn is by far cheaper than lick tubs and far better for the cow.

I am using the Crystalyx mineral tub. It only has a small percentage of protein in it. It is a little spendy. It is one way to get my cattle to come up about once a day to check them over. They do not come up for any of the other minerals I have tried!

I am also using the mineral lyx tub from crystal lyx... $70 a tub, with $5 return. I think minerals are probably important during their breeding season also. Crystal lyx also has a tub with Rabon in it for fly control.

Latest posts