Tub Grinders

Help Support CattleToday:

Haymaker, the only tub grinder I every worked with was a used one and did a great job. Anything can tear up but really not all that much to tear up on one. Just need a big tractor to really turn one and we only used the grinder on alfalfa. Coastal hay seemed to just pull out and blow out rather than getting any kind of grind on it.

TexasBred":1uupdpuu said:
Haymaker, the only tub grinder I every worked with was a used one and did a great job. Anything can tear up but really not all that much to tear up on one. Just need a big tractor to really turn one and we only used the grinder on alfalfa. Coastal hay seemed to just pull out and blow out rather than getting any kind of grind on it.

Thanks for the info,I am more interested in mixing than grinding,really need to see if I caint get some of this bleached out hay mixed so these ole girls will eat it...............good luck & Merry Christmas.

Few people around here use those Knight mixers to grind and mix hay . The only trouble is they're higher than a cats back ( $25-30,000 I think ).

Larry

larryshoat":3an21tw8 said:
Few people around here use those Knight mixers to grind and mix hay . The only trouble is they're higher than a cats back ( $25-30,000 I think ).

Larry

Larry I think you're talking about a vertical mixer, designed to actually cut baled hay as well as anythign else that you put in the mixer. Man in NE Texas fell into one and you can imagine the results. Great pieces of equipment for a dairy operation or feedlot perhaps but even a good used one would probably be too much mixer for the typical beef cow operation.

Larry[/quote]
Larry I think you're talking about a vertical mixer, designed to actually cut baled hay as well as anythign else that you put in the mixer. Man in NE Texas fell into one and you can imagine the results. Great pieces of equipment for a dairy operation or feedlot perhaps but even a good used one would probably be too much mixer for the typical beef cow operation.[/quote]

A couple years ago the midwest dairy extension guys really started pushing TMRs to control ration content and increase production. Corn silage and alfalfa hay are the common inputs. I was told you could get a decent mixer for U$S 6,000 to 8,000 but I had just invest $ 700 in a covered gravity box and some 5 gallon pails...

Since then all the bigger backgrounders have gotten a mixer. Corn byproducts and grass hay are the common inputs.

I only know one guy who bought a TMR and then re sold it. He switched to making a lot of balage rather than growing organic corn silage.

A friend of mine bought a use Jaylor with a twin screw last year. He has not tore it up let feeding about 600 hundered calves. The tub grinders its self is a heavy made. Hope this helps.

We have good luck with WHO hay grinders. If you watch around a 300hp one can be had for under $10,000. With a self powered one your no going to burn up an expensive tractor clutch. We are currently feeding 1500 head of feeder cattle and running a p-12-56 WHO with 500hp and 8000hrs on it and it still works good. If you want to go big we also run some 800hp Diamond Z grinders that we really like. They can grind 50 tons per hr of wet grass hay through 1.5 inch screens. Here is a video of us grinding spruce bark and logs with one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_dDFne4IU

Latest posts