TT and KYHills (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hereford/Limo weighs 1450
My sons 4-H steer that we bought from KyHills. I hope he does not mind me posting pictures. Bill you have some very nice cattle you should be proud. I know the picture is not very good, but I can not figure out how to post bigger pics on this website anymore.
edited to add. That is my daughter holding the steer.
edit number 2 figured out how to post bigger pics

[image][/image]

Davemk":1s6rdm3b said:
Hereford/Limo weighs 1450
My sons 4-H steer that we bought from KyHills. I hope he does not mind me posting pictures. Bill you have some very nice cattle you should be proud. I know the picture is not very good, but I can not figure out how to post bigger pics on this website anymore.
edited to add. That is my daughter holding the steer.
edit number 2 figured out how to post bigger pics

[image][/image]
Thank you Davemk, it was a true honor for us that you and your family chose calves from our farm to show.
You and your knowledge of feeding and growing calves out had a lot to do with the calf's performance as well, he looks really good. We fed out the other steer that was in the lot the day y'all were here, and took him to be processed earlier this week, he had grown quite a bit but not like that one. I would guess him as weighing more like 1000-1100.

Nice Dave. I saw the one your younger daughter is holding in the other thread. How young were the calves when you bought them?

Davemk":2dsxj9na said:
The Herf/Limo was born 3/22
The Herf. was born 3/27

We bought them from KyHills the end of last August.

Dave. You and your kids do a great job halter training. What is your process? BTW: You didn't get rid of your boy did you? Lol. Why is sis holding his steer?

LOL. He was playing in his last baseball tournament of the summer. His fastball is upper 60's has been clocked at 70(he does not know that). He just turned 11 in June. He pitched 3 innings today, threw 35 pitches no hits no runs and 1 walk.

The halter breaking process starts when the calves are bought. We like to buy off of farms. You can get a good idea how those cattle are handled before we buy. You and Bill have the kind of cattle that we like to feed and show. My oldest daughter does have a "show calf" this year. I hate feeding those kind of cattle for obvious reasons. I am trying to teach my kids responsibilty and how to feed cattle. I know this is getting long winded but that is kind of the process and how we start.

The actual process of halter breaking is easy if the cattle are calm. Tie them up and brush. Let them stand 4 hours then try to lead to water. Keep repeating this process every day. They are tied up for longer periods of time if they do not cooperate. They get the message pretty quick. I can usually break one in less than 7 days.

Davemk":29sdmm59 said:
LOL. He was playing in his last baseball tournament of the summer. His fastball is upper 60's has been clocked at 70(he does not know that). He just turned 11 in June. He pitched 3 innings today, threw 35 pitches no hits no runs and 1 walk.

The halter breaking process starts when the calves are bought. We like to buy off of farms. You can get a good idea how those cattle are handled before we buy. You and Bill have the kind of cattle that we like to feed and show. My oldest daughter does have a "show calf" this year. I hate feeding those kind of cattle for obvious reasons. I am trying to teach my kids responsibilty and how to feed cattle. I know this is getting long winded but that is kind of the process and how we start.

The actual process of halter breaking is easy if the cattle are calm. Tie them up and brush. Let them stand 4 hours then try to lead to water. Keep repeating this process every day. They are tied up for longer periods of time if they do not cooperate. They get the message pretty quick. I can usually break one in less than 7 days.

Thanks. He might have a career in baseball.

I know you have a good program. Congratulations on your parenting. You are paving the way for a better tomorrow. I agree with Bill: it is an honor for my cattle to go to places like yours. Many may not feel this way but I feel some obligation that my cattle go to owners that handle them responsibly. I know you do.

Latest posts