Trying to select for the Southeast Classic Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It is that time of year again, to really take a good hard look at the herd and select cattle to offer in the Southeast Classic Sale. I feel this sale is one of the better sales in our part of the country as far as overall quality of cattle offered. Needless to say I want to take really good ones. We are going to take one that is for sure breaking my heart. She is out of our Donor SAV Blackbird 9057 she had a birthweight of 78 pounds and a adjusted weaning of 698. She is sired by SAV Registry 2831 the only negative on the heifer for us is her birth date of 4/20/2018 which does not fit into our program. That is the only reason we would consider letting this heifer leave the farm. She is really good.

This is a photo of the Donor SAV Blackbird 9057 she is the full package great feet and legs, udder and gentle as a baby kitten.

A picture of 9057 in the pasture with one of her bull calves.

This is a picture of a Harvester daughter SAV Blackbird 4130 out of the 9057 cow.

I think this heifer by Registry is going to be a lot like the Harvester daughter pictured above. She is as good as we have ever offered in a sale.

Gizmom

That is the right type for sure. I like the depth of 4130 cow, lots of rib. Lot's of hind end too, and still looks feminine.
That's a boomer of a calf.

Thanks, I will be getting photos of the actual heifer in the next few weeks. She is really deep and soggy and super gentle like her dam. We own her in a partnership with our friend Keith Walther of High Tide Angus. Since we both calve in the fall the decision was made to sell. The up side is we have embryo calves due out of 9057 in October. The matings we have coming are Renown, Raindance and Extension. We are breeding her AI tomorrow to SAV Regard. Next year we already plan to flush to Registry as that mating sure worked. I never get tired of this!

Gizmom

gizmom said:
Thanks, I will be getting photos of the actual heifer in the next few weeks. She is really deep and soggy and super gentle like her dam. We own her in a partnership with our friend Keith Walther of High Tide Angus. Since we both calve in the fall the decision was made to sell. The up side is we have embryo calves due out of 9057 in October. The matings we have coming are Renown, Raindance and Extension. We are breeding her AI tomorrow to SAV Regard. Next year we already plan to flush to Registry as that mating sure worked. I never get tired of this!

Gizmom

If I could raise them to look like that I wouldn't either! Beautiful cows. Magazine cover eligible :tiphat:

We just finished breeding the 9057 cow to Regard. I sure hope it took we will turn her out with our Resource son in the next couple of weeks. Jake she would probably love Kansas!

Gizmom

That is one impressive cow. I would take her in a heart beat even though I think every cow in the south needs a healthy dose of Brahman influence

Vince she hasn't yet but we will have her genomically tested one of those items on the list we have to get around to. That is the problem with having just one calf that doesn't fit your program, all of the calves we weaned have already had DNA pulled, we missed her since she wasn't in the weaning group.

Gizmom

I have been working on an email to send out now that we have all of the consignments figured out. I always look forward to this sale. Vince I have submitted DNA on 1801 but it hasn't come back yet on her or F35. I had to collect blood on the E9 calf again I received a notice from the lab that my sample wasn't good. I have never had that happen before but there is always a first time for everything. I have pulled another sample on her and submitted it last week

Jacob grabbed a photo of 1801 on his phone today. I will try to get a better one this week.

Gizmom

You have any pictures of the Sinclair Queen Mother cow? I saw on Facebook you were taking her maybe there were some on Facebook don't remember.

Nice cow I like what Sinclair is doing but I'm not a fan of SAV so wouldn't be interested in the pregnancy. Thanks for the picture.

I understand we all have our likes and dislikes. I am a fan of Sinclair we have used a lot of their genetics over the years. The reason I'm excited about this pregnancy is it is taking the 4136 cow and XXP which was as good a bull ever made in the Sinclair program. I just can't see where that can go wrong.

Edited.....oops sorry I was thinking this was an Extension pregnancy we flushed her that way as well. But the pregnancy we are selling is Reign so SAV Coleman breeding not Sinclair. I am a fan of all three of those programs. I blame my lapse on spring break at Disney with the family. There is no tired like Disney tired! I am looking forward to gettin home and working cows, it has to be less work :D

Gizmom

You could send them to west central OK. It is turning green and received 2.25 of rain overnight. Just let me know when to expect them. LOL

Latest posts