trying not to freak out - feeling better about it

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwriter

Reaction score
Went out to feed calves this morning (weaned last week) and discovered what look like water blisters on a few noses. One has several lumps on his neck. They're all eating fine and nobody seems lethargic or anything. But do a search on blisters on calf noses...it'll scare you.
Friend suggested they might have gotten into some wasps or yellow jackets.
Anybody got any ideas, particularly ideas that put my mind at ease? Please?
IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

I don't know. I'm wondering about some form of IBR, with the time since weaning and not being vaccinated it would add up. If they got stung you won't see any more cases, but if something else you may see more. In this case I would think AS 700 might be a benefit. The cattle you show seem to be bright eyed and feeling good. If they show signs of sickness or get more cases of what you're seeing now, call your vet. In the future I would vaccinate well in advance of weaning.

Larry

Do you get Lumpy skin disease in the USA? It looks like the beginning of that, for your sake I hope its something else...

Larry, that's what makes me think maybe it is stings. Everybody seems to feel great, and they're appetites are very good. Certainly no indication of fever or mouth discomfort. I'm almost surprised I noticed anything at all.
Knersie - Research I could find says Lumpy Skin is confined to Africa and Mid East.
I'll be talking to the vet for sure, I just hate to be one of those people who blows every little thing out of proportion. And to be perfectly candid, I'm a worrier when it comes to my animals. Is there such a condition as hypochondria by proxy? :oops:
Thanks for listening and for the advice.

Talked to vet. He suggested as long as everybody is alert and eating, wait and watch. Let them develop some immunity. Go to LA 200 if they start to mope.
Shoat - isn't LA 200 the same antibiotic as AS 700? Why one over the other? Feel free to drown me in all the info you want.

farmwriter":1gyv4o2x said:
Talked to vet. He suggested as long as everybody is alert and eating, wait and watch. Let them develop some immunity.
I love vets that perscribe my favorite treatment, "Benign Neglect".

farmwriter":bsfsy3u4 said:
Talked to vet. He suggested as long as everybody is alert and eating, wait and watch. Let them develop some immunity. Go to LA 200 if they start to mope.
Shoat - isn't LA 200 the same antibiotic as AS 700? Why one over the other? Feel free to drown me in all the info you want.

LA 200 is injectable Oxytetracycline, AS700 is Chloratetracycline and Sulfamethazine in a feed grade. The injectable would be used on a sick animal where high blood concentrations are needed. The feed grade products are used more for mass medication.

Larry

Dun, benign neglect is my vet to a T, which is great for somebody like me who thinks a snotty nose is a crisis. We actually have noticed the 'lumps' on some of our grown cows and it's kind of scaly - we're thinking a rain rot/ringworm kind of thing - unrelated to blisters on nose. We've gotten into that pattern of rain and high humidity that makes fungus go wild sometimes.
Thanks for the clarification on the meds, Larry.

nothing to worry about. just wait until they start scratching their itchy necks and get bloody looking scabs. and it will still be nothing to worry about.

benign neglect. they are some kind of bites or stings. they will get itchy and they will rub them raw but its nothing to worry about.

(i was being fo real above, not sarcastic, if thats how it came across)

It did to me, but probably only because I think sarcasm is the highest form of modern art. :clap: No harm done.

are they peeling at all i had a cow we thought had got stung but her hide was peeling off. it was because of all the rain we had

not yet, but they feel scaly, so I'm thinking it might be a fungus that's gotten out of hand because of all the moisture. How long before you're cow got over it or did she?

um mayb a few months i sprayed it with fungicide because i had some but i took her to the vet and he ripped huge pieces off. he called it hide rot and i think dermatitis not sure bout that name but he shot her with 60 cc of pen.. have yall had a lot of wet weather

compared to some folks I guess not, but compared to what we've had the past few summers - yeah. A good amount of rain and high humidity.

Latest posts