Trying a new vet soon

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber

Reaction score
I have been in contact with supposedly "THE Cow Vet" in our area. He comes highly recommended and regarded from reputable outfits around my area. I am excited to possibly develop a relationship with him, so maybe I can get some help at some high stress time in the future from a guy that actually likes helping cattle instead of sitting around the office looking up a cats ass.
I had originally talked with him about trimming a cows feet. I got to thinking about it, and since I have not worked my cattle yet, decided to do it all the same day and have him do it all. Vaccinate, cut two babies, trim feet that need it, worm, the whole deal. He can see what I'm working with, what I've been doing,etc. I called the office today and left that info, and asked the girl to pass it on that I wanted him to re evaluate my vaccination protocol and mineral/fly control program. If you all have switched vets before, or are a vet, do you think this would be a good first step, or does it really make much of a difference?

I rarely use a vet but have a cousin and 2 very good friends that are vets. You are developing a relationship with him that may mean a lot in the future. I feel it is a good move.

I think that it is a great plan. Once you have been through all of that with him, you will be a priority call when you have an emergency. He will also be much more apt to give you advice over the phone. And give you the meds that you need when you don't need a vet, but need to treat something.
Very good move.

Wise decision. Even if you don;t need him for any emergencys, havingg started building a good relationship with him will pay dividends in the long run. With any luck he'll really provide you some incite and guidance. We don;t use our vet a lot but I consider him almost a partner when it comes herd health and directions we should follow with it.
We do make it a point to stay in touch and have him do some stuff for us every year. Keeps the lines of communication open.

I am real lucky we have five large animal vets in a 30 miles from here.
I do switch mainly some you just can not get them. Each vet is super at something while the others avoid something they can not or do not want to do.
A local man called five vets (not sure if the ones I am thinking about) to pull a calf none could come

Four of the vets are real good the other is a ole time sale barn vet. Three of these have excellent facility cattle. Two have a tilt table.

We recently switched to a vet who has opened a clinic in our area in the last couple years. It put us 30 minutes closer to the office and they drive by a couple times a week taking the kids to school so something of a win-win. We have had to have her out a couple times for problems after hours as well as for "normal" vet work.

One thing that we try to do is to have as much stuff set up and ready to rock-n-roll when they get there. If that is having stuff caught and penned up close, or having our box of drugs or supplies out so they don't have to run to the truck to get something. Part of this is just trying to be nice and part of it is "I don't mind going out there as much because I know that a) it is a problem if they called and b) they have as much of the leg work done as possible so I don't have to worry about as much."

A good relationship with a good vet is one of the most important tools you can have in the toolbox. Also we buy most of our drugs from them, could I get it a little cheaper somewhere else-yes, but they have to eat too and what is that loyalty worth at 3 in the morning when you need help pulling a calf?

I had a vet tell me once that they had 2 rates for farm calls, the standard we're going to stick it to you because we're going to earn it rate and the preferred customer rate for the ones that pay on time and are easy to work with. I'd guess that most of them have at least these two rates if not 3 or 4 depending on the customer.

I think your doing the right thing. Having a good relationship with a vet is a good thing. If they like you and know your operation then they will be more likely to come out out in the middle of the night with 6" of snow on the ground to help u in a emergency ( because that's always when u need one )

Guess we're lucky. Our LA vet is about 5 min away and grew up on a dairy farm.
I echo what some of the above have said--have your cows and your supplies ready to go when the vet arrives; have a water supply for cleaning up (I always also have a canister of antibacterial wipes but I guess that's kinda wussy to some); have a good headgate and palp cage so the vet is protected; pay your bill immediately. (If we're in the midst of what I know has been a long day for the vet, I try to offer a snack (energy bar, eg) before she get started. She doesn't take me up on it but I don't want a vet keeling over for low insulin).

A very good idea. My wife is a vet. They are just normal people. When you have to call in the middle of night. It's not near as big a deal to go to regular customers, as it is some stranger. You would be amazed some of things that go on this side of it.

Yes, they are like anyone else. You get the good, the bad, the smart, the stupid, despite having been able to study and test well through 8 years of college. They have to take an exam to be licensed, but a lot of people should also have to take a test to be a client. I imagine that it doesn't happen as frequently in cattle country as it does in other areas whithout much of a commercial livestock industry, but one of the things that floors me the most is hearing of veterinarians who arrive at a farm only to find the animals still out on pasture or in a large pen, with no training and no facilities to easily catch them up, and a clueless owner who expects the vet to wait for them to be caught, or even to have to help chase them down himself. And they wonder later on why their 3AM emergency phone calls don't get returned promptly.

Vet came yesterday and I think it went well. I think they were satisfied with the facilities, as him and his assistant commented on the set-up. We talked about my current vacc. practice and what he recommended. His assistant said he liked my weaned calves, they came up to see what all the hubbub was about. Turns out he is good friends with a son of the guy Dad had bought some bulls from, and is on the board for the semo cattlemans assoc. So, I made another contact, plus had a good first encounter with a very knowledgeable vet, plus learned some things I can do myself that I was little unsure about. It was a good day.

Latest posts