Truth in Advertising?

Help Support CattleToday:

Picture of a Holstein cow on product labeled certified Angus beef.
Restaurant owner who paid for that got robbed. :)
Even if Holstein steers have the highest % grading choice. Image is everything.
My dad impressed upon me; they all look the same in the dark (I just assumed I'd be able to know the condition score).

Fresh never frozen hit me too-are they right next to the packer that they get raw product every day? Maybe it's a sale-barn special…

We went out to one of the fanciest steakhouses in the area (my bone in ribeye was $30) Out of the 8 or so steaks on the menu, they all had the CAB stamp next to them except the ribeye and the porterhouse. I asked the waiter what about those two? He didn't know and had to go ask the manager. When he returned he said "the menus were old and needed updating the ribeye was CAB. The porterhouse was not, but honestly people can't tell the difference " Not the answer I expected.
I was not impressed.

Picture of a Holstein cow on product labeled certified Angus beef.
Restaurant owner who paid for that got robbed. :)
Even if Holstein steers have the highest % grading choice. Image is everything.
I got more of problem with the rifle's. Those look more like Henry's than Winchesters

We went out to one of the fanciest steakhouses in the area (my bone in ribeye was $30) Out of the 8 or so steaks on the menu, they all had the CAB stamp next to them except the ribeye and the porterhouse. I asked the waiter what about those two? He didn't know and had to go ask the manager. When he returned he said "the menus were old and needed updating the ribeye was CAB. The porterhouse was not, but honestly people can't tell the difference " Not the answer I expected.
I was not impressed.
Maybe not the answer we would expect, but probably fairly truthful. Probably very few folks pay close attention to each detail and just assume it's all CAB.
If it's all choice grade beef and not cooked wrong ( too long ) then it should all be comparable quality. If your talking select grade then them ribeyes better be sliced thin and taken off the grill fast and they still ok for ribeye sandwich.

Last edited:
I've only ever seen a bone-in ribeye once in my life. It was August 2006, in California, and I had my young son and best friend with me. It was an embarrassing moment.
Felt like I was getting ripped off. The waitress didn't understand what I wanted her to do with the bone. Not sure what was decided after they pitched me out.

I shared the menu with a few friends and heard that dairy x limousin calves go into CAB and Fleckvieh calves are sold as Hereford beef.
At this point, we can apply stricter appellations for what defines breed of meat sold in the store.
I am in favor of using DNA technology to ensure that the consumer gets what they think they are buying. Either through parentage verification or a predominate 51% genetic trace back to the foundation genetics of the claimed breed.

I shared the menu with a few friends and heard that dairy x limousin calves go into CAB and Fleckvieh calves are sold as Hereford beef.
At this point, we can apply stricter appellations for what defines breed of meat sold in the store.
I am in favor of using DNA technology to ensure that the consumer gets what they think they are buying. Either through parentage verification or a predominate 51% genetic trace back to the foundation genetics of the claimed breed.
Why? 75% of the consumers don't know 75% of the breeds anyway, and that's being generous. There was a guy on here once saying dairy beef shouldn't even be labeled as beef. For "the consumer" he said.

That is an old menu.
Winchester's Steak House isn't open any longer. We live 20 miles from there.
Someone bought it, and now it is called
Cattle Guard Steakhouse and Saloon. (I thought that was a dumb name).
Winchesters was said to be the best steak house in the whole area. Now it is said that it isn't as good under the new owners. We haven't gone there in some time, so I can't tell you for sure.

If you want a predictably good place to eat, I suggest the Cowboy Saloon. It's always good, but they don't serve steaks. Their burgers are purchased locally and are really good. They know how to cook them to perfection.

Latest posts