Trump signs executive order withdrawing US from TPP trade deal

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
My question is, what are your thoughts on this announcement and the effect it will have (if any) on the cattle market?
Will we see a rebound in prices? Any impact on COOL?

Any other thoughts? I am just an interested and concerned cattleman.

Our #1 export market is Japan and the agreement would have decreased their tariffs dramatically.
But I think it shouldn't have an impact because everyone has known the deal was dead for months.

It builds credibility! Doing what you say you are going to do is rare for professional politicians.

In addition, the US has been too generous in trade negotiations for the past 30 years. It is time to protect American business.

Regarding US cattle markets, livestock economist say the road to stronger markets is going to be rough for the next 18 months. I follow the University of Kentucky market analysis. It is amazing how low current cattle markets are when you factor in the time value of US money. You have to go back to the 1990s on a dollar value basis to find markets this low in terms of the value of the dollar.

No Rest Farm":155qqa6v said:
Our #1 export market is Japan and the agreement would have decreased their tariffs dramatically.
But I think it shouldn't have an impact because everyone has known the deal was dead for months.

Oh well, we are your biggest competitor in the Japanese market and with our trade deal with Japan I guess it helps with things in our favour.

Ken

Margonme":2xgyg400 said:
It builds credibility! Doing what you say you are going to do is rare for professional politicians.

In addition, the US has been too generous in trade negotiations for the past 30 years. It is time to protect American business.

Yep, been screwed long enough by "trade deals", which translates into us buying more and exporting less.
Time we get back to being producers and not consumers.

Prices may get crazy, and downright scary, but if we stick with it we can come out ahead.

True Grit Farms":5ifgv28f said:
http://www.beefmagazine.com/beef-exports/despite-tariff-gap-us-beef-ready-reclaim-market-share-japan

Here's the reason we can't compete with other nations that have our standard of living. This kind of crap needs to stop.

All the while we import more and more Aussy and Brazilian beef under the impression that "if we buy theirs, they will buy ours."
How much do they buy of our beef? Not a lot...https://www.usmef.org/downloads/Beef-20 ... 5.pdf...or none.
I'm sure glad the NCBA is out there fighting for our exports, while promoting more imports. :roll:
Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!

The key here is that TPP may have been terrible and it may be good that it's dead, but we need to find a way to make good trade deals with places like Japan. Hopefully that will be high on Trumps agenda

Latest posts