true or false

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

if a bull is "hom"polled -"hom"black all his calves will be black -polled. true or false?

> if a bull is "hom"polled
> -"hom"black all his
> calves will be black -polled. true
> or false?

This has been debated at various cattle sites and the majority of replies said "true" to your question. I say not necessarily, I have used 3 different angus bulls on some red and black limo crossed cows and 90% of the time you will get black calves but you will also have some red calves even out of the black cows (their sire was a red limo) The last bull I used was an ai bull (reg. black angus) with no red marker in his pedigree. The American Angus Asociation, as far a I know, doesn't gaurantee that bulls registered with them will all sire black calves. Just what I've experienced. TSR

[email protected]

I Believe that the requirements for Cattle to be reg. as Black Angus , they can not have red calves...If they do the animal in question is not allow to be Reg. as Black Angus.. I believe this is the way it is ,If some knows , please reply...alf

[email protected]

I can prove this wrong WK Dateling 7270 is a red carrier bull in the sire summary in AI catalogs they are usually marked and it is to the descresion of the company. They can be registered as long as they are black. I believe some breeders have used Red Angus to incorporate some new genes. The bull I mentioned in on <A HREF="http://www.accelgen.com" TARGET="_blank">www.accelgen.com</A> under beef sires he is nicknamed 7270. Jake

[email protected]

> I Believe that the requirements
> for Cattle to be reg. as Black
> Angus , they can not have red
> calves...If they do the animal in
> question is not allow to be Reg.
> as Black Angus.. I believe this is
> the way it is ,If some knows ,
> please reply...alf Alf, I've never read in the AAA's policy manual where it says a bull would lose his registration if he sired calves whose color was other than black. You know genes are funny things. Black is just simply not dominant 100% of the time. Most of the time, but not 100% of the time. At least thats been my experience.

[email protected]

The Angus Assn. recognizes Class I and Class II defects. If an animal has a class I defect, its registation is pulled and after official publication of the fact the animal carries a Class I defect, no calves can be registered by that bull. Any calves already registered will be identified as carriers of the genetic defect. The red gene is considered a Class II defect. Since red animals can't be registered with the American Angus Association, they identify red carriers that have been reported to the Association. But being red doesn't affect growth or fertility and registration is not pulled on those animals. But their pedigrees are marked as red carriers. Here's a link:

<A HREF="http://www.angus.org/pubs/brg6.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.angus.org/pubs/brg6.html</A>

> I Believe that the requirements
> for Cattle to be reg. as Black
> Angus , they can not have red
> calves...If they do the animal in
> question is not allow to be Reg.
> as Black Angus.. I believe this is
> the way it is ,If some knows ,
> please reply...alf

[email protected]

Latest posts