Trucking

Help Support CattleToday:

Well their expenses have about doubled so sounds about fair. Now if we could just get our cow checks to double we will be back to breaking even at least.
Yes, but that ain't going to happen. I am afraid to calculate what it is going to cost me to make hay this year.

Well their expenses have about doubled so sounds about fair. Now if we could just get our cow checks to double we will be back to breaking even at least.
Sure doesn't take care of expenses but tomorrow slaughter cows will be double in price to what I gave the first of November last year. But can't cull them all.

I stopped in at the sale yesterday. A kill cow buyer I know and talked to often back when I was buying those BM cows. Smiled at me and said they going to work good aren't they. Watched cows looking similar to my cows bringing $1,200. I averaged paying $850 and they all have calves now. If this holds for another 7 weeks or so I will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Sure doesn't take care of expenses but tomorrow slaughter cows will be double in price to what I gave the first of November last year. But can't cull them all.
Do you think this is partly because of the 4th of July Holiday coming up? Lot's of hamburger is needed for the Memorial Day, the 4th, and Labor day. (I learned this from Kenny).

Had I known that hay was was going to be as short as it is, and that we would not have rain for this long, I would have started culling a few weeks ago.

I think.the holiday.always has a little impact but I have never seen slaughter cows and bulls stay higher this long. I'm being told that it could be like this through August. Of course price should drop a little during the fall runs when lots of people normally cull off anyway.
Heat, drought, and a shortage of hay across many parts of the US could change the timing of cows being sold. A friend in TX and one in South GA have both started feeding hay. Neither will continue that very long.

Last edited:
I think.the holiday.always has a little impact but I have never seen slaughter cows and bulls stay higher this long. I'm being told that it could be like this through August. Of course price should drop a little during the fall runs when lots of people normally cull off anyway.
Heat, drought, and a shortage of hay across many parts of the US could change the timing of cows being sold. A friend in TX and one in South GA have both started feeding hay. Neither will continue that very long.
Most of this area is 30-60 days from being done. The sell outs have already started. Hay is not an option.

We loaded 54 cows in that truck, and had about seven calves in the dog house. I think it was about 170 miles.
The mileage is nothing....I'd do that for $3. a mile....the issue is (head-count-weight) I don't have that kind of equipment. Sure wish I did...of course if I could move 60 head (equipment costs) I'd probably want $6 a mile.
Sure seems like hay producers and cattle movers are making good money...at some point cattle producers will get their share...especially as more producers retire or exit the business.

I was quoted $5.25 a mile to hual a load of yearlings to OKC. Can't remember what it was last year. I know it's wasn't half that so guess they just doubled the fuel part of the fee.