trucking rates

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
I do some hauling with my livestock gooseneck trailer for the neighbors. Just curious what to charge? Is there any info on the net to help me out?. Or do any off you guys haul or have had somebody haul for you. Thanks for any help.

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe i should post this somewhere else. Surely somebody has some info here.

I know they charge by the loaded mile as well as getting to the actual spot. My self loader/unloader that I use charges 125-150 an hour depending on where he has to go. The last loader we used for a really long haul where we loaded charged us 150 an hour form thew moment he left his place to the moment he arrived. None of them screw you on the hourage as they know that we have timed it out ourselves already.

Hope this helps.. Keep in mind the economy that your area is in as prices will very .

We've got an old guy around here that hauls because it gives him something to do. He'll haul to the market for $25.00 a trip. Doesn't matter if it's one cow or a trailer load.

He'll help you load, he'll shoot the **** with you, just give him his $25.00 and he's happy. You don't want to compete with someone like that......

I don't know if there is a standard around here, but there are a couple of local guys who charge 150 for a 70 mile trip and 100 for a 30 mile trip----both loaded mileage. One has a 32 foot trailer and the other has a 28. I don't know what the per mile charge is on longer hauls. The fluctuation in diesel price has fluctuated the hauling price, also. I don't haul for the public, but if I am taking an empty trailer or have some room and a neighbor needs something taken, I will swing by and pick it up and not charge anything. I am not out anything, so no need to charge them. I have always found things like that make for good relationships with the neighbors and that is worth more than the little bit of money in a hauling fee.

yep, my buddy has a gooseneck livestock trailer, and if I need to send anything to the butcher, or go the auction whatvere, he lets me use his truck trailer combo( no goosneck hitch on my truck) or he goes with me. No charge, but I always buy lunch or pay for the fuel. I dont have to but that is how you keep friends

Agboy":3aylbhar said:
I do some hauling with my livestock gooseneck trailer for the neighbors. Just curious what to charge? Is there any info on the net to help me out?. Or do any off you guys haul or have had somebody haul for you. Thanks for any help.
Are you doing this legally or illegally? Huge difference in price.

Explain what you mean by illegal. Im not in the custom hauling business just on occassion if the neighbors need an extra hand. Why would the price be different?. When you buy or haul cattle to the sale barn theres always a possibility off disease. Thats unavoidable.

my cattle hauler charges $3 a loaded mile.an thats 1hd or a trailer load.my hauler only hauls to the sale barns.but i do have a friend when we go to the same sale that hauls for me if i buy anything.an he dont charge me because its on his way home.then i have another friend thatll let me use his truck trailer an driver if i buy cattle close to him.an he wont charge me anything for using his truck an trailer.i usually make him take a day off from work an deliver them hisself lolol.but i dont mind him sending his ranch hand to pick them up.

Agboy":gvn18gng said:
Explain what you mean by illegal. Im not in the custom hauling business just on occassion if the neighbors need an extra hand. Why would the price be different?. When you buy or haul cattle to the sale barn theres always a possibility off disease. Thats unavoidable.
Something called Operating Authority, it costs money. Acceptable insurance for the FMCSA costs money. If you are needing to pay additional expenses you need to charge enough to cover them. Most haulers without Authority and Ins. charge less to get the loads.

Figure your:
time
depreciation on your truck
depreciation on your trailer
capital cost to replace
Insurance and licence
the insurance you need for hauling cattle (as per options)
cost of fuel and repairs for the year, add in your labour if you do your own repairs.
don't forget if you have to plug your truck in...cost
add that up...
Good educated guess on the miles you put on per year and divide the two to get a cost per mile for both the trailer and the truck, add the two and there you are.

It will take work, however that work will mean the difference of you being in the red or the black. This time spent working the figures will be well spent

First I would see if my insurance would cover this.
In case of a accidient and loss of cattle. Might wind up costing the farm.

Cal