Trucking costs

Help Support CattleToday:

More to the point of the post, I can't see how doubling fuel prices would double the transport costs.

10mpg @ $3 diesel is $0.30/mile
What is maintenance, $0.50/mile at most?

If those costs doubled, we are talking an increase of $0.80/mile - if the quotes are loaded mile, maybe that turns into $1.60/mile. As a business person, I want a profit of some sort on that outlay of cash so 15% profit would be an increase of $1.88/loaded mile. This seems like a worst case scenario but it shows me what's possible if you don't find transport that fits your situation.

My bull going to be collected is worth the extra transport costs as long as a portion of the semen sells over the next few years. I am going to double down and get more straws to make the trip worth it though...
All costs have gone up... not just fuel. Tires brakes trucks trailers food shirts pants boots etc... all up.

Plus less hauling means you need to make more per haul.

All costs have gone up... not just fuel. Tires brakes trucks trailers food shirts pants boots etc... all up.

Plus less hauling means you need to make more per haul.
That's why I included the $0.50/mile for maintenance - then double it.

That's why I included the $0.50/mile for maintenance - then double it.
Don't forget about depreciation, insurance, and possible interest expense. And if it's a semi truck pulling a bull wagon they aren't any where close to 10 mpg. And depending on the load 8mpg might be a more realistic number for a pickup and gooseneck.

We were paying $4 a loaded mile. That has nearly doubled. But that is for semi loads of cattle. So a thousand miles for 3 cows and 2 calves that you really want. Jump in your truck and drive. Just fuel cost and not having to pay a driver. Here at 15 mpg and $6.25 diesel it cost $416. The wear and tear on your own vehicle? Call it $600. A whole lot less than paying someone else to do it.

Inflation is an overarching issue. Wet beet byproduct cost went up 70% here...

No cost-effective way to dry it, so either you move your feed yard or buy more local corn...

I used to go lots of places just for fun. That has slowed down a LOT.

If want the cows, by gawd, go get em!
And get some pictures man!

They don't happen to be jersey/brahma do they?
I just about cried when I heard they were gonna have to take a ride

Latest posts