Truck Tires...

Help Support CattleToday:

buckmaster33

Reaction score
In need of some new truck tires(1/2 ton Silverado)...anybody out there have opinions on some good ones? Currently have Bridgestone Duelers and not all that impressed. Up here in northern WI, will need some good All Terrains...but dont really dont wanna spend $200 a tire. Anybody have have good luck with any particular brand?....thanks in advance.

YOu get what you pay for with tires. I have an 08 Chevy Z-71 with the Bridgestone Duellers also..... already have two that will go low..... just turned 10K mi yesterday.

Been running the BFGoodrich All-Terrains for a while now on my other trucks. Probably the most aggressive A/T on the market and you should get 50-60K+ miles out of them fairly easy. Some 285s right now run about $230 a tire... will be getting some soon. :D

I have never had a BFG A/T go low with out having a nail or some thing actually stuck in them. I drive thru dozed pasture, mesquite, weesatche, ect.. been very pleased.

I have no particular brand loyalty. Over the past 40 years or so, I have always bought the cheapest tires I could find, no matter what brand they were. Always got very good service out of them. The only ones I ever had a problem with were Goodyears. The tread on them started coming unstuck, and a couple were not exactly round.

I think that ALL tires are made secretly in one big tire making factory, and just get various names stamped on them as an afterthought. :tiphat:

Jim62":12huudtq said:
I have no particular brand loyalty. Over the past 40 years or so, I have always bought the cheapest tires I could find, no matter what brand they were. Always got very good service out of them. The only ones I ever had a problem with were Goodyears. The tread on them started coming unstuck, and a couple were not exactly round.

I think that ALL tires are made secretly in one big tire making factory, and just get various names stamped on them as an afterthought. :tiphat:
Jim you are partially right there is only 4 or 5 manufacturing plants and they make several brands of tires to different specs

I prefer Yokohamo but they are pricey been running them forover 20 yrs on our heavy trks and about 15 yrs on our pick ups and suv's

I have had very good service out of the Yokohama tires on my pickup. They are eight ply and tough. Costco sells them and they are not expensive in comparing with other leading brand tires. I had tread separation problems with the Goodyear top of the line. I guess it all depends on what your preference is. If you live in the western states, Big O makes a good tire also.
Tom

I had great luck with toyo open country at's on a half ton chevy. I've also had great luck with buckshot maxxis mudders on my F350, very aggressive tread but wear really well for mud grips. I have 26k on them and still lots of good tread. My dad runs nitto terro grapplers and really likes them on his F350. Then the neighbor swears by yokohama and runs them on his F350 and puts lots of miles on it!!!

I live in the flint rocks we use Yokohama's, toyo and general if we can get them. We only get from 15 thousand to 22 thousand on the best.

Brute 23":g54f6gl2 said:
hillrancher":g54f6gl2 said:
I live in the flint rocks we use Yokohama's, toyo and general if we can get them. We only get from 15 thousand to 22 thousand on the best.

So why do you use them? :?
Because if we use the others we only get 8 - 10,000 miles out of them

I can't get yokohama locally anymore have went to a brand called Ironman and I have about 12 k on them and they are still about 75% so maybe the will make 20k
These Flint fock hills we have just eat tires I have use cooper,Goodyear,(too soft) Michelins and a few off Brands the Yoks get the best mileage so far in my conditions

On my farm trk I went with recaps and have had good luck so far

Yeah, I've always been a fan of BFG AT's as well. Was wondering if maybe I was missing out on a different tire...but I'm thinking they're probably still my best bet. Alot of the cheaper truck tires are the equilvalent of Titans for the tractors...if you've never had a Titan tractor tire...make sure to keep it that way! As painful as it is to dish out the money for Firestones, etc for the tractor...it definitely pays for itself in a very short time.

Brute 23":1brwh1e2 said:
hillrancher":1brwh1e2 said:

So why do you use them? :?

The others only get 9 thousand to 12 thousand

Speaking of flint rocks, I once visited the Alibates Flint Quarry National Monument in the Texas panhandle. I've visited quite a number of Nat'l monuments and parks all around the country but that's the only one I've been to that was completely deserted. Flint laying all over the place. Couldn't learn much about the history or significance of the site though as there was no visitors center or anything.

on our duallies, The chevy truck has Hancook which have a nice long life, good highway tire with great load rating (14 ply or higher), but are no good in snow, the tread clogs up right away, I think we get about 50,000 miles out of them, have had some mysteriously leak air.. installed tubes on all of them, end of problem

on the dodge it came with yokohamas, and they don't seem to last very well at all, especially on the front axle with the heavy diesel engine, I'm thinking 25000 miles, good load rating and as far as I can tell, not too shabby in snow...

i will NEVER NEVER use Uniroyal.. we've had many problems with them, blowups at high speed, separation, bulging, and SCREWY wear patterns

The absolute best go-anywhere tire I ever used were a set of Hankook T34s. They were an open lug, mud style tire that cleaned extremely well. They were a softer rubber though, so you wouldn't get as many miles as you could with a hard rubber tire. However, they were still good on ice, which an open side lug often isn't. The next best I owned were GoodYear MTRs. Fairly well wearing on our gravel roads (1/2 wear at 60,000 kms), however they weren't all that hot on ice.

The worst tire I ever owned were Michelin LTX M+S's. Theoretically a mud and snow tire, but if you went anywhere near either, they'd plug up solid and you were walking to the house for a pull.

Rod

Latest posts