Truck Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog

Reaction score
It's close to time for me to get a new set of shoes for my truck so I'm looking at what is out there. I am currently running the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 all-terrain and am very pleased with them. I've come across the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 which is cheaper, but I've never ran Cooper tires before. Anyone have experience with Cooper tires? I'm knocking on 80k miles on this set of Hankooks.

Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 - $142.00 per tire 50k mile warranty

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - $127.42 per tire 55k mile warranty

Both brands are offering a $40 rebate on the purchase of a set of 4 so rebates don't play a factor.

I don't believe I'd quit a winner over 60 bucks. We have been running Fierce brand mud tires, with great success......60k of overloaded abuse on lots of gravel. Stick with what you know works for you, IMHO.

Thanks guys. That was my initial thought as well, but sometimes there are better out there for cheaper. I will stick with the Hankooks though.

If somebody offered to give me a set of cooper tires I would just have to be rude, and refuse the generous offer.

Bigfoot":nrlgxbp2 said:
If somebody offered to give me a set of cooper tires I would just have to be rude, and refuse the generous offer.

Sounds like me with plastic pistols. I could have bought an XDS 45 a couple weeks back with 2 holsters and 2 magazines for $400. I turned it down so that I can continue to say I have never owned a plastic gun.

TennesseeTuxedo":1y7yg7vs said:
Bigfoot":1y7yg7vs said:

Yet you'll pay good money for a Fiat truck?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had it commin

Bigfoot":223m6b00 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":223m6b00 said:
Bigfoot":223m6b00 said:

Yet you'll pay good money for a Fiat truck?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I had it commin

Nah, I was being a butt. Sorry

No experience with Coopers in the last several years but I don't plan on buying any Hankooks. They have failed miserably in the all season highway tires tht come out OEM on Fords. Never worn one out yet as they all end up busting belts.

TennesseeTuxedo":gsiekr74 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":gsiekr74 said:
I don't believe I'd quit a winner over 60 bucks. We have been running Fierce brand mud tires, with great success......60k of overloaded abuse on lots of gravel. Stick with what you know works for you, IMHO.

Gotta agree.

X3 Stick with what works. I ran those tires on a couple trucks when I was gauging. They held up good for all the abuse and road really good on the highway.

Out of the 8 Cooper tires on my gooseneck flatbed, 5 or 6 of them experienced cord separation with over 50% treadlife remaining, two of which exploded while hauling equipment. I wrote Cooper and they basically told me to suck it.

Recently bought a truck with Cooper Discoverer AT3's on it, they were rotated properly but caused the truck to shake so bad while on a recent trip that I stopped in Denver and had new tires put on it.

Suffice to say, I'll never buy another Cooper tire in my life.

I use BFG AT's on most of the trucks, with the exception of the feed trucks which run an aggressive mud tire. One of them is in need of tires now, and it looks like I'm going to try the Firestone Destination M/T's on it since Mud Kings have been discontinued. The last time I checked, BFG and Firestone were still made in the USA which is a big selling point to me. I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from BFG or Firestone, and use the former's commercial tires on most of the trailers now. You get what you pay for.

I used to have good luck with Coopers and Hankooks but the quality went downhill several years ago. Local tire dealer used to sell the crap out of Coopers, won't even let a set go out the door now because he says they are so bad after being sold to some Indian company or something. Had a couple good sets of Hankooks then had a couple sets that wore uneven and wouldn't balance very well. Tried rebalancing the last set and saw the Made in China on the sidewall and decided they were my last. On a second set of Toyos now and have been very pleased. Made in USA right on the sidewall makes me feel better too.

way back when, we had really good 14 ply Hankooks... outlasted anything out there by far but these were hopeless in the mud.. the old chevy had them, the truck weighed in at nearly 10K empty, and hauled 7500 lbs on it all the time for long distances.. we got over 50,000 miles on them.

I tried some Dick Cepek's, they didn't last *at all*.. We've found the BFG's pretty good for life and a midde-of-the-road traction rating. I got some really cheap studdable winter tire that I thought was chinese (from the price), but was actually US made, my buddy with his welding truck said they held up really good even in the summer.. He usually wore out at least 2 sets a year, that set lasted nearly the whole year. I have a set on my truck but don't drive all that much, they're still fine. I got a deal buying a dozen chinese tires that I'll try next, same buddy has a set on his "commuter" truck and they lasted as good as anything else and were a lot cheaper ($70USD each)

Firestone? Ask Ford about how they are!

I replaced my one ton last year with Coopers, first time with a Cooper tire. I tow right at 30k lbs regularly and they seem to hold up well. To me they are the best bang for your buck.

I had good luck with coopers a number of years ago so I had no reason not to put them on my one ton right before I drove it back and forth between CA and OK seven times. About all I can say good about them is that they will replace them free of charge... unless it's a complete blowout like two of them were where there is nothing at all left, in which case they won't because they can't determine that the tire was faulty..
I've put about 20,000 miles on the truck since I put them on. I've had two complete blowouts including one that almost dumped a load of horses out in the middle of OKC, two tires replaced that were ready to blow, currently have a spare on the front and two that are warped pretty bad on the back end,and a spare that makes me think I might be better off stranded. The tire shop in CA checked my alignment twice so I know it isn't the truck. They offered to replace all six but I'd have to take it back to CA to do it.

Latest posts