Truck Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":3drj75l8 said:
Caustic Burno":3drj75l8 said:
I will never buy another diesel keep my 02 7.3 till I die I guess. The new EPA regs on diesel have taken the advantage out of them.
It will be a gasser from now on I can buy a lot of gas for 10k and the new diesels mileage suck.
I liked to fainted last year when I bought a new Chevrolet never paid that much for a vehicle in my life.

My 2013 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel will get better fuel mileage than your 02 Power stroke easily and run all over it. CB, don't repeat everything you hear as truth, because sometimes it's BS. I know the newer Duramax diesels won't achieve the fuel mileage of the older power strokes unless they've been deleted. And I've never tested or run the new Fords so I can't say. The EPA and fuel companies work hand in hand. And If it wasn't for the EPA the ne

diesel trucks would get 30+mpg.
There's no denying that diesel powered trucks hold there value by about the cost of the engine. And a diesel powered truck will achieve twice the fuel mileage towing the same load, and last 3 times as long.

I am not got two neighbors crying the blues over new Dodges mpg wishing they would have never bought them and kept their old ones.
Unless your pulling loads everyday diesel is about testosterone and not worth the extra money.
Hauling cows to the barn two or three times a year and moving hay a couple days take a long time to burn up that amount of gasoline

You can a run gas motor till it drops, and buy a new crate motor to put in it's place for less than half the initial cost of a diesel. If somebody needs a diesel, then by all means, but one. Just keep in mind, they are very expensive to work on.

Caustic Burno":l7eqqtbf said:
True Grit Farms":l7eqqtbf said:
Caustic Burno":l7eqqtbf said:
I will never buy another diesel keep my 02 7.3 till I die I guess. The new EPA regs on diesel have taken the advantage out of them.
It will be a gasser from now on I can buy a lot of gas for 10k and the new diesels mileage suck.
I liked to fainted last year when I bought a new Chevrolet never paid that much for a vehicle in my life.

My 2013 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel will get better fuel mileage than your 02 Power stroke easily and run all over it. CB, don't repeat everything you hear as truth, because sometimes it's BS. I know the newer Duramax diesels won't achieve the fuel mileage of the older power strokes unless they've been deleted. And I've never tested or run the new Fords so I can't say. The EPA and fuel companies work hand in hand. And If it wasn't for the EPA the ne

diesel trucks would get 30+mpg.
There's no denying that diesel powered trucks hold there value by about the cost of the engine. And a diesel powered truck will achieve twice the fuel mileage towing the same load, and last 3 times as long.

I am not got two neighbors crying the blues over new Dodges mpg wishing they would have never bought them and kept their old ones.
Unless your pulling loads everyday diesel is about testosterone and not worth the extra money.
Hauling cows to the barn two or three times a year and moving hay a couple days take a long time to burn up that amount of gasoline

I'm kind of doing a little test run on my current truck. Like I said a F150 EB was with in $2500 of my diesel. The question is will the diesel with 150K miles trade in higher than the EB with 150K miles enough to justify the $2500 extra cost, operating expenses, and maintenance?

If I type in a 2103 Chevy 2500 diesel with 150K miles vs a 2013 Ford F150 EB, same millage, same trim, same year, same options... KBB shows the resale of the Duramax $5000 over the EB.

Guess I will find out if KBB is right. Next time I get an oil change I will find out how much cost difference there is between the two also.

Bigfoot":2vd44n8t said:
You can a run gas motor till it drops, and buy a new crate motor to put in it's place for less than half the initial cost of a diesel. If somebody needs a diesel, then by all means, but one. Just keep in mind, they are very expensive to work on.
You nailed last I heard 3600 bucks was a new factory motor installed with warranty

Just filled up my 6.0 vortec 1 ton after pulling a trailer fully loaded 200 miles to and from fairs, and driving around home.
Got 10.9 mpg.

Only down side is I get 10.9 without pulling a trailer. :(

sim.-ang.king":1ua5iuvc said:
Just filled up my 6.0 vortec 1 ton after pulling a trailer fully loaded 200 miles to and from fairs, and driving around home.
Got 10.9 mpg.

Only down side is I get 10.9 without pulling a trailer. :(

My old Dodge would knock out 22 all day long unloaded 16 pulling a load.
Can't remember it was a 95 or 96 body went to falling off and I went to Ford
Best I ever got of my 7.3 is 19mpg unloaded

Caustic Burno":2jnu78iw said:
Bigfoot":2jnu78iw said:
You nailed last I heard 3600 bucks was a new factory motor installed with warranty

My post was because I was wondering whether to fix my chevy but from factory 7100 but can buy with warranty for that 3600 all day... That active fuel management crap chevy has in the 5.3's is BS

Sky I have excellent performance out of the 5.3 as well as my son he says it pulls better than his ford diesel 6.0.
But you can get a lemon in anything GM bought a 94 Z71 from me after 3500 miles under the lemon law, first bad 350 I ever owned and it was crap

Caustic Burno":3tw0grrc said:
Sky I have excellent performance out of the 5.3 as well as my son he says it pulls better than his ford diesel 6.0.
But you can get a lemon in anything GM bought a 94 Z71 from me after 3500 miles under the lemon law, first bad 350 I ever owned and it was crap

What year is your 5.3l in? I may have missed that the ones that the 8 cyl ran all the time was good but the new ones have been problematic is what the gm mechanic tells me and advised me to trade any truck with it in before warranty runs out where was he before I had the issue :oops:

2014 and 2015 you are the first I have heard anyone complain. Heard a few
complaints on Dodges came out in the early 2000's. Haven't heard complaints on the Dodges in years

skyhightree1":1ugp6tb4 said:
Caustic Burno":1ugp6tb4 said:

What year is your 5.3l in? I may have missed that the ones that the 8 cyl ran all the time was good but the new ones have been problematic is what the gm mechanic tells me and advised me to trade any truck with it in before warranty runs out where was he before I had the issue :oops:
Ecotec 5.3's with AFM are only a shadow of the old vortec 5.3 or 350 small block. Car makers have started chasing the magical 35 mpg, and have pretty much thrown quality to the wind in order to chase that dream. MPG and price have gone up, and durability has gone down.
If you really like the truck I would find a mech. that would swap the L83 5.3 out for a LMG 5.3 and have it reprogrammed.

Brute 23":2f0vxma3 said:
My 2015 Duramax, with factory size tires, will get 18-20 mpg on the highway, driving the speed limit, completely stock.

Brute23 not trying to outdo you but thought someone might like to know, my 2013 cummins 2500 with 35" tires on factory rims will do 21-22mpg at 55-60mph on a "trip" (the farther you go the better the mileage gets, up to a point) BUT, tank in/tank out everyday use around home/town/farm , I average 15mpg.

I have an 02, 7.3, 6 speed with just under 31000 original miles, that consistently gets 18-20 mpg if I keep it under 2000 rpms, and not drive with a heavy foot. IMO that is pretty good for a truck that size.

JMJ Farms":10xu5z6q said:
Brute 23":10xu5z6q said:
My 2015 Duramax, with factory size tires, will get 18-20 mpg on the highway, driving the speed limit, completely stock.

Brute23 not trying to outdo you but thought someone might like to know, my 2013 cummins 2500 with 35" tires on factory rims will do 21-22mpg at 55-60mph on a "trip" (the farther you go the better the mileage gets, up to a point) BUT, tank in/tank out everyday use around home/town/farm , I average 15mpg.[/quote

And with stock tires you can add 2-3 mpg to that. The boss just got back from a trip to NY - Canada and averaged 22.7 mpg. The mountains really hurts the fuel mileage in my truck. But letting the truck sit at idle with the AC cranking hurts also, but it's worth it.

The truck that has gotten real popular here is the Toyota see them pulling long goosenecks every week at the barn.
Haven't heard anyone brag on mpg but a lot about pulling.

True Grit Farms":2t9sbisv said:
JMJ Farms":2t9sbisv said:
Brute 23":2t9sbisv said:

Brute23 not trying to outdo you but thought someone might like to know, my 2013 cummins 2500 with 35" tires on factory rims will do 21-22mpg at 55-60mph on a "trip" (the farther you go the better the mileage gets, up to a point) BUT, tank in/tank out everyday use around home/town/farm , I average 15mpg.[/quote

And with stock tires you can add 2-3 mpg to that. The boss just got back from a trip to NY - Canada and averaged 22.7 mpg. The mountains really hurts the fuel mileage in my truck. But letting the truck sit at idle with the AC cranking hurts also, but it's worth it.

That sounds about right. My 08 Dodge was the same. I have 35x12-20s on my Duramax and its the same.

I don't see any difference in empty mpgs between my Dodge, the Duramax, or the F150 EB I rent if I need any work done. Its all about how you drive them. They all get the same.

The Toyotas don't hold up. They may have the payload of the big 3 but are not built the same. People have tried them in the oil field and they wore them out quick. Same with some ranches. They don't hold up. They do have great power and ride smooth if you stay on the highways.

Latest posts